Thread: Ted Stevens found guilty on all 7 counts

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Ted Stevens found guilty on all 7 counts

Here is the article from the Washington Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

So, do you think he will still be elected? Alaska has been electing him to the Senate for a long long time.

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default And totally deserves it ...

Somehow I feel sorry for him, but I shouldn't. I followed the trial and it was unbelievable.

I wonder what McCain will say?

SueW is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Will he be reelected?

It would not surprise me at all if he were reelected. Press coverage in the state was more favorable than the national press. Plus I'm paranoid and cynical from experience. Still I expected a hung jury. I am surprised, and a small part of me feels pity toward a very old crotchety man who did dedicate his life to bettering this state. It's a small part though. Hang on for the appeals. We may have to rename a few things around here.....

freddy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default So now what?

I just caught a snippet of an article. Its all thrown out because of too much government corruption? Is there any part of our government that isn't corrupt?

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Sounds like the prosecution's behavior was unbelievable ...

BLATENT disregard of law ... OTOH, I read a lot of the testimony from the trial and it was pretty shocking as well, esp. dialogue between Stevens and some of these CEOs about the massage chair they were sending him, etc. The prosecution messed up, but there's no question that Stevens also abused his power. Per the Post ...

Yet this extraordinary reversal cannot erase or forgive the ugly behavior that gave rise to the indictment in the first place. Trial records and testimony painted a picture of a man so consumed with his own sense of entitlement that he did not think twice about accepting such expensive freebies as a Viking gas grill, a vibrating Shiatsu massage lounger and a five-foot sculpture of migrating salmon -- not to mention extensive plumbing, electrical and carpentry work on his "chalet" in Girdwood, Alaska. All told, the government calculated that Mr. Stevens took gifts worth in excess of $250,000.

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

As upsetting as it is to hear of such prosecutorial misconduct, I think the fact that it was reported by someone within the prosecutor's office shows that corruption is not taken for granted. From what I understand, the evidence withheld concerned inconsistent statements from a key witness about the value of what Stevens received - not whether he took what the government said he took. It's not clear how this would have affected the trial. But Stevens should probably count his blessings and shut up now. He has not been vindicated. He's just going to get away with it because some overeager prosecutors thought the ends justified the means.

SueW is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That's really strange....

Borrowed from "The Mudflats" - a great blog on things Alaskan, and muddy. - Sue

Stevens Rises from the Ashes.
    7 04 2009

A smiling Ted Stevens surrounded by his equally smiling daughters graces the front page of the Anchorage Daily News online today. What a long, strange trip it’s been.

A federal judge today set aside a jury’s guilty verdict and the indictment against former Sen. Ted Stevens, then announced he was appointing a special prosecutor to investigate the government attorneys in the case for failing their constitutional duties to ensure a fair trial.

“In 25 years on the bench, I’ve never seen anything approaching the mishandling and misconduct that I’ve seen in this case,” U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan said.

He dismissed the case based on recently discovered pre-trial interviews with a star witness that contradicted his trial testimony.

We should all have a personal litmus test about anything political. Mine is when I find myself saying, “that’s strange.” Usually that means there’s a lot going on I don’t know about. But I think to myself that when a U.S. District Judge says that in 25 years on the bench, he has “never seen anything approaching the mishandling and misconduct I have seen in this case,” that’s pretty strange.

Here’s what we know.

The Bush Department of Justice indicts the longest-sitting Republican Senator in the history of ever. They royally botch the trial from beginning to end. Stevens, is found guilty, and then the case is dismissed. And now the Obama Department of Justice is investigating the federal prosecutors involved.

This is causing lots of chin stroking here in Alaska. Did Bush have it in for Ted? Did the prosecution deliberately screw it up so badly it got thrown out? Are the people who say either of those things tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists, or is everyone else a naive Pollyanna?

And is it over yet? Alaskans have been at this long enough to know that indictments are still coming. We sit patiently, watching the change of the seasons and knowing that they will come. They always do. We have developed patience. And our patience is always rewarded, as we watch the ups and downs of the painful cleansing process that is brought to our state, courtesy of the federal government.

But the Stevens trial was just plain strange. And the back story may never be known.

And today, there are a lot of happy people in Alaska. And there are a lot of unhappy ones. But all of us are waiting…

Patiently.