Thread: Question about percentiles....m

Default Question about percentiles....m

We just got back from Jace's 9th month appt. and I have a question about growth curves. At 4 months he was in the 80%, 6 months he was 65% and now at 9 months he is in the 38%. The first drop didn't really bother me and I guess the most recent one doesn't really either but hearing what others think will be helpful for me. He is still only breastfed and is eating on average 2 meals a day of solids. He has never taken a bottle so supplementing has never happened. Now he will drink a little out of a sippy but isn't crazy about formula, has only drank a couple ounces a couple of times. He is extremely active, never stops moving when he is awake and has been this way since about 7 months. He is still nursing 7-8 times a day and at least once at night. He is meeting all milestones and then some and is developing just fine. So, all of this is reassuring however my concern is my supply. I have struggled with my supply since a pp hemorrhage and continue to struggle despite taking domperidone. Do you think we should start supplementing more with formula to try to get his calorie intake up or just leave it be and see what happens? Thanks for reading if you got this far and for any input!

Lori & Jace, 9 months

Hi Lori, I was wondering how you are doing. My first thought was, gee maybe your little guy is just correcting himself to the right growth curve. I'd also look at his height, is he still getting taller? I think because he is meeting his developmental milestones and continuing to grow, though not quite at the rate that was expected, I wouldn't worry too much. Just feed him often and offer him calorie dense foods. Remember too that formula isn't necessarily the best food out there, your milk is.

What does your LC and pedi think about all of this?

Cordelia

Default Hi Cordelia, thanks for responding...m

He is staying right on his original growth curve for height and for head circ., right about 75% for both of those. I honestly never expected him to be a 75% kid for weight, expected him to settle around 50%, just not quite as low as he is now. Neither dh or I are "big" people so I guess maybe this is just more where he is meant to be. I haven't talked to the LC, I will put in a call to her tomorrow. I'm having surgery next week and wanted to ask some questions of her anyway about anestesia and nursing afterwards. The ped wasn't concerned due to the increase in activity level.

I was thinking about weaning off the domperidone but think I'll stay on it for now to make sure I don't have another drop in supply. It is interesting because we tried this whole sleep training thing with Jace a couple weeks ago as I had posted and it was a total bomb in the end. We gave up after 9 nights and just decided that he is going to be the kid that it doesn't work for. Maybe he needs those extra calories at night?!

Thanks again! How is Anna?

Quote Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
    Hi Lori, I was wondering how you are doing. My first thought was, gee maybe your little guy is just correcting himself to the right growth curve. I'd also look at his height, is he still getting taller? I think because he is meeting his developmental milestones and continuing to grow, though not quite at the rate that was expected, I wouldn't worry too much. Just feed him often and offer him calorie dense foods. Remember too that formula isn't necessarily the best food out there, your milk is.

What does your LC and pedi think about all of this?

Cordelia

Sleep is so important. You will get some, eventually, really. Anna doesn't nap much but at a year she has started sleeping pretty well at night and it didn't take a lot on my part. A few nights of crying while I helped her back to sleep. I wasn't up for more than an hour. Now she is sleeping form about 8:30 to 5.

If only she would nap more, argh.

Cordelia

It always takes me ages to find these but here they are if you haven't seen them before. The WHO growth charts for breastfed babies. I think your Jace may fair a bit better on these.

Cordelia

I guess I should add the link

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

Default Hi Lori

Hi, Lori - sorry to hear that night sleep is still kinda rough. I hope it gets better and also that everything goes well with your surgery.

I think it is fairly common for breastfed babies to "lean out" during the second six months of life. Here is an interesting article from Dr. Sears (I included a few excerpts):

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t023600.asp

• Breastfed and formula-fed infants grow at basically the same rate in the first few months.
    • Between four and six months, formula-fed babies tended to gain weight faster than their breastfeeding peers, although growth in length and head circumference were similar in both groups.
    • After the first six months, breastfed babies tended to be leaner. Compared to their formula-fed friends, the breastfeeding infants in this study gained an average of one pound less during the first twelve months.
    Weight gain is determined by more than diet, which is why there is such a wide variation in normal patterns of infant weight gain. For example, babies with different body types due to heredity have different metabolic rates, and therefore burn calories differently.

. . .
    • Long and lean babies (we call them "banana babies") are hypermetabolizers. They burn off calories faster than the plumper "apple babies" and "pear babies." Banana babies are likely to grow more quickly in height than weight, so that they normally plot above average in height and below average in weight on the growth chart.
    • Apples and pears show the opposite pattern on the chart, usually showing gains in weight faster than height. All these patterns are normal.
    A baby's temperament also influences weight gain.
    • Mellow, laid-back babies tend to burn fewer calories and therefore gain weight more quickly.
    • Active babies with persistent, motor-driven personalities who always seem to be revved up usually burn more calories and tend to be leaner.
    ---------------------------
    Sounds like Jace may be an active "banana baby!" I know that when I had concerns about my boys' weights I would pop by the ped for a quick weigh-in between well-baby checks. I think it sounds like you're doing great!

Sara and Isaac 11.5 months (almost to the milestone of nursing to a year! Whew!)

Default Thanks everyone for all the info...m

I am trying to not stress about it. I talked to the LC and she wants us to come back to see her but honestly I don't think I'm going to. I think he is fine and getting enough. He is just an unusually active baby, everyone comments on it. He has been this way since about 7 months. He really never stops moving when he is awake and I think he's just burning lots of calories this way. He seems happy and content, never crying for more. This is such the opposite experience of dd, who was also bf until about this age and she was in the 95% the entire time. She however didn't even crawl until 10.5 months and walk until 15 months. And Cordelia you are right, he did fare quite a bit better on the WHO growth charts! I'll probably take him back to the ped for a weight check in about a month and see how it is going but for now, I'm just trying to go with dh's advice and not worry! Thanks again!

Lori & Jace

Quote Originally Posted by jernlor View Post
    We just got back from Jace's 9th month appt. and I have a question about growth curves. At 4 months he was in the 80%, 6 months he was 65% and now at 9 months he is in the 38%. The first drop didn't really bother me and I guess the most recent one doesn't really either but hearing what others think will be helpful for me. He is still only breastfed and is eating on average 2 meals a day of solids. He has never taken a bottle so supplementing has never happened. Now he will drink a little out of a sippy but isn't crazy about formula, has only drank a couple ounces a couple of times. He is extremely active, never stops moving when he is awake and has been this way since about 7 months. He is still nursing 7-8 times a day and at least once at night. He is meeting all milestones and then some and is developing just fine. So, all of this is reassuring however my concern is my supply. I have struggled with my supply since a pp hemorrhage and continue to struggle despite taking domperidone. Do you think we should start supplementing more with formula to try to get his calorie intake up or just leave it be and see what happens? Thanks for reading if you got this far and for any input!

Lori & Jace, 9 months

Default glad you decided not to worry...

he sounds fine to me. I bet he is meant to be lean...that is just his body type.

My ds was consistently off the charts for height since birth, and 75th percentile for weight until somewhere between 6 and 9 months. Then he stayed on the same growth curve for height and started falling in weight--at his 12 month he was off the charts for height and 50th in weight. He nursed exclusively until he started solids, and I've never given him formula. He ate lots and lots of solids, plus continued to nurse at least 5 times per day between months 9 and 12. But he was also very active. It made sense that he was starting to get leaner (plus that's the body type DH and I both have).

At 9 months rather than supplementing with formula I'd increase his solids if you are concerned (although I think there's no need to change what you're doing).