Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I didn't like the Obama infomercial ...

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I didn't like the Obama infomercial ...

I have been trying to figure out why. I think it boils down to this:

* I thought it was negative and pessimistic - not enough about the potential we haven in this country, and about its greatness; too much about suffering and despair.
    * I thought the style was Hallmark-y
    * There was too much of a sense that Obama could solve all of these problems, when he can't - I felt like he was promising to take us back in time, not into a new, different future. This is a big issue/concern I have - we are never going to be a big manufacturing nation and if we try to bring manufacturing back through trade protections, etc. we will only make things worse
    * Too much repetition from his stump speech

The one thing I did like, which a lot of people did not, was cutting live to a rally at the end. It made it feel like we were all with him there, sharing an experience.

I'm still a big fan of Obama but I want to get beyond the stump speech ... I can't wait for this election season to E N D ! ! !

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think the concept of doing it at all was silly. I can't imagine it swayed any undecided voters. (Though I also think it's impossible to be undecided at this point. You can be ignorant or simply not care, but I don't know how one could be undecided.)

I didn't watch all of it, but what I did watch seemd well done to me. I liked that it was not negative and got across a very hopeful message. I thought it was a counterpoint to the typical quick political ad which is about bashing the other guy.

freddy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by jvirginia View Post

* There was too much of a sense that Obama could solve all of these problems, when he can't - I felt like he was promising to take us back in time, not into a new, different future. This is a big issue/concern I have - we are never going to be a big manufacturing nation and if we try to bring manufacturing back through trade protections, etc. we will only make things worse
    I didn't watch it, but this point seems interesting. I agree that perhaps he tries to make it sound like he can solve all these problems, and yet, without providing any specifics. ('You know, we didn't know how we were going to get to the moon, but we did it.' Well, that may be true, but it didn't just happen on its own simply by talking about it and hoping it would happen.)

And I don't know why we can be a manufacturing nation. I don't know the reasons manufacturing has left. I don't know what could be done to bring it back. I understand that things seem to be 'global' these days, but what are we going to do to replace the part manufacturing plays in our country's economic foundation?

maryellen is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I was kind of indifferent about it, but my DH and my kids *loved* it. My DH is not nearly as into politics as I am, and kind of votes by his gut (plus some quick Q&A sessions with me if he has a particular concern). Truly, I think he is much more representative of a normal voter than I am. He was already going to vote for Obama, but this just reminded him why and got him all enthusiastic about voting again. If *that* was the goal, then I think it probably worked.

psilverman is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I like it...

...and from what I hear, there are still a lot of undecided voters and I think it could sway some of them.

What I did like:
    -- I was moved by the plight of the families they showed, and how he could tie some of it back to his own life (particularly his mother struggling with insurance even as she fought cancer).
    -- I thought they were good at making him seem "one of us" by talking about his relationship with his daughters.
    -- I was moved by how terribly we really drastically need someone who has new ideas, the intelligence, and potential advisors like Warren Buffet to lead us out of this disaster.
    -- When they showed him at these rallies with all of these people getting excited and hopeful and believing ( I am well aware anyone can show a positive response at a rally...but it is still effective...especially when they showed him at the convention).

What I didn't like:
    -- I felt his menu of specifics was TOO long. I know he wanted to capture everything here...and that a lot are intertwined but...it seems like a very lofty list. I want to know that he can and will prioritize so that we have the best chance of getting these things accomplished.
    Don't mistake that for me believeing they aren't real, or all aren't realistic, or that when it comes to the details, McCain has any better plan. I think Obama's plans and details have the MOST hope... I just struggle to believe ANYONE can do all that.

I watched with my parents and with my kids in my lap. I was in tears. I said to my mom "It is so different watching it as a parent, it means so much more to me when I am responsible for all of us to have someone like him I can find hope and see positive things in."

maryellen is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by psilverman View Post
    I watched with my parents and with my kids in my lap. I was in tears. I said to my mom "It is so different watching it as a parent, it means so much more to me when I am responsible for all of us to have someone like him I can find hope and see positive things in."
    Parts of it made me cry too. (I know I said I was indifferent above, but I meant in terms of how it would impact my vote). The part where he spoke about his mother's health struggles, and you could see how passionate he felt about healthcare... it was very moving. DH and I could barely look at each other.

I will say this, Obama really does give me great hope for this country. I think my kids will be better off with him as president in so many ways.

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My reaction was mixed.

I liked:

The stuff about his background. I had not realized how little contact he had with his father. I thought the story about his mother's death was moving and demonstrated he really understood the healthcare crisis in America. People dying of cancer in a hospital bed shouldn't have to spend time reading insurance policies and fighting with insurance companies. The stuff about his grandparents during WWII was also very interesting. I felt all of that humanized him and went a long way to combat the image McCain has been trying to paint of Obama being "different."

Seeing Obama talking with people in small groups. He seems so likeable which is a nice point to McCain who seems more and more unlikeable now that I've seen so much of him. He's got a grating voice and he whiiiiiines. His bit with Larry King yesterday proved that point too. He was whining a lot about Obama breaking his promise on the financing thing. But you know, no one forced McCain to go through with it.

The snippets of campaign speeches. I thought he was smart to take advantage of the 30 minutes to drive some of his best points home. I read somewhere that they deliberately used lines that had tested well with focus groups during the debates and other events.

The rally at the end. I think it will be successful in building excitement going into Tuesday and making people invested in going out to vote

I didn't like:

The generalization about his plans to solve big complex problems. I was hoping for more specifics

The real stories. I wasn't always sure where they were going with that and the bit with the first woman they featured really felt a bit disjointed.

Overall it wasn't quite what I hoped but I think it might be effective in convincing a few undecideds, allaying some of the fears aroused by all the McCain campaign guilt by association nonsense, and energizing supporters to believe that they are part of something big and historic and mobilizing them to vote and volunteer.

HethD is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvirginia View Post
    * I thought it was negative and pessimistic - not enough about the potential we haven in this country, and about its greatness; too much about suffering and despair.
    * I thought the style was Hallmark-y
    * Too much repetition from his stump speech
    I agree with the points you mentioned above. I understand the idea of the slick, glossy ad, but it was more of the same we've seen, packaged better.

I often found myself thinking he seemed too naive of the hard work that will follow if he's elected. His inexperience does make me question his abilities. Vision is fabulous, but unless you can follow through, it's useless. I worry he'll try to implement too many changes and not really succeed with anything. (Of course, since I don't agree with many of his ideals, that's not really a concern for me!)

I liked it. I found it moving and made him seem even more likeable.

What I liked about the concept was that it was truly a "closing argument". The recap of what he considers to be important issues; not his defending his relationships with ACORN & Ayers, or arguing what he meant when he said would sit down with leaders "without preconditions", etc. I liked his "I won't be a perfect President" line; I think he does seem like the President that would say "wait a minute, let's think about this".

And I do believe there are many people who are undecided and/or who haven't really paid attention to the election as much as those of us on this board. I think its very likely that the infomercial will catch some of those voters.

Dani is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post
    I agree that perhaps he tries to make it sound like he can solve all these problems, and yet, without providing any specifics. ('You know, we didn't know how we were going to get to the moon, but we did it.' Well, that may be true, but it didn't just happen on its own simply by talking about it and hoping it would happen.)
    That's funny because I think McCain does this all the time: "I know how to fix the economy... I know how to win a war.... I know how to fix social security...." "I know how to fix (fill in the blank)." I've heard him use that line a million times.

I think, in general, Obama has been a lot more specific than McCain on his plans and how he will pay for them. Do I think it's realistic that he will accomplish them? No, but at least he's made an attempt to put together a comprehensive agenda that puts us on the path to progress.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast