Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Gay marriage and homosexual rights- questions

WasTarin is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That is simply not true.

Quote Originally Posted by June2 View Post
    If you are black or white or Asian, every single person that sees you knows about it. I can't tell if someone is homosexual just by looking at them. Blacks can be targeted just by walking down the street. I have a real problem with race and sexuality being used as one to one examples.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and then you can see that bigotry is biotry, whether race or sexuality based. If you were poolside and heard a little girl address one woman as Momma and the one beside her as Mommy, wouldn't you recognize that as a two mom family?

If you're black, there are places you don't want to go because you are black and if you are gay there are places you don't want to go because you are gay. Because both blacks and gays have been killed for being...themselves.

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    Has it been established without a doubt that homosexuality is something you are born with?

ETA: And I am also curious - is there support here for research to find a gay gene?
    Has anything been proven beyond a doubt if you're looking to doubt?

Having an older female relative in my family who has a gay brother and two very clearly gay grandsons (and it was clear by the time they were 4 years old), I feel strongly it is genetic. I don't really care if researchers look for a gay gene or not. I do care that my two close friends in high school from very devout religious families wanted to commit suicide because their families taught them what they knew in their hearts about themselves was sinful. They did not, fortunately, and their coming out stories have happy endings for their families. But they almost didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dulaney View Post
    "I tolerate gays"- but that is what she is saying. She uses the word tolerant twice. In fact she says (regarding gays) that "I am tolerant".

But I also want to clarify, if there's any kind of suggestion at all from my answer that I would be anything but tolerant of adults in America choosing their partners, choosing relationships that they deem best for themselves, you know, I am tolerant.

Kristin
    I know. That's why I looked up and posted the quote. When reading it in context, do you think that she is saying: "I think it is wrong and I don't really agree with it, but they are around, so what are you gonna do?"

dulaney is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yes, I do!

I know. That's why I looked up and posted the quote. When reading it in context, do you think that she is saying: "I think it is wrong and I don't really agree with it, but they are around, so what are you gonna do?"
    Just saying that you tolerate or are tolerant of- means that to me, yes. It's not an acceptance of that lifestyle in any shape or form.

If someone stepped forward and said "I am tolerant of blacks", how do you take that? It's discrimination, regardless of how you look at it.

Kristin

dulaney is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I also want to point out

there have been several posts here by people supporting gay rights that are either gay themselves or have family members/friends that are gay. It may seem like most people supporting gay rights have been personally affected by it and I just want to point out that that is not always true.

I do not know a single gay person IRL (unless you count the guy who works at Yankee Candle and sells me my candles- LOL). To me, it doesn't matter that I don't personally know anyone gay. To me, it is about human rights that everyone deserves.

Kristin

Default Since we are discussing different types of families

here is something I deal with. We know people who are married to more than one wife at the same time. According to secular laws it is illegal. My children have not asked or mentioned it, but it is only a matter of time before they get it and start asking.

Every family has its own beliefs.

renate

psilverman is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'm not sure if you were replying to me or Heth here . . .

Regarding your analogy of teaching kids to be racists at home - I wouldn't automatically assume that parents who would rather be the facilitator of these discussions with their very young children are going to teach their children to hate homosexuals.

My other question would be - there are many people . . . like Heth and myself . . . whose views on this issue are based on the Bible. If Biblical teachings are not seen as a legitimate grounds for basing sexuality-based values - is finding any agreement a lost cause? Is it (for lack or a better word) "wrong" for a person to believe that something is a sin based on her faith?
    Dont think I was really replying to anyone specifically, just a bevy of thoughts (and as usual I have technical difficulties posting either under a post I intend to our just generally!).

I think your biblicla beliefs and teachings ARE legitimate, for you, but they don't have a place dictating the policies and teachings in a public school. I believe you said you choose to send your kids to a religious-based school for this reason (among others) and I wouldn't deny your right to do that nor would I suggest that the government then has the right to tell YOUR teachers that they must teach about gay rights.

As for facilitating discussions with very young children. I am not assuming they are teaching hate...but I am guessing that some do. That is when I bring in the analogy of race.

julied is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I tend to agree...

Quote Originally Posted by jknyc View Post
    Has anything been proven beyond a doubt if you're looking to doubt?

Having an older female relative in my family who has a gay brother and two very clearly gay grandsons (and it was clear by the time they were 4 years old), I feel strongly it is genetic. I don't really care if researchers look for a gay gene or not. I do care that my two close friends in high school from very devout religious families wanted to commit suicide because their families taught them what they knew in their hearts about themselves was sinful. They did not, fortunately, and their coming out stories have happy endings for their families. But they almost didn't.
    Those that I've known or met who are gay tend to have other family members that are gay as well. My neighbor's mother is gay as well as his uncle. Another friend of mine has 2 siblings who are gay....It usually appears that not too far in the family "lineage" there is an uncle or aunt or cousin or brother or someone else. I actually suspect that my aunt might be gay according to things my mother and other aunt have mentioned (although she is married, I think either she felt it was wrong or just didn't have the courage to come out). She's in her 70's now so it wouldn't have been very acceptable back then to admit it. And I also suspect her son is gay but she won't admit it to any of her extended family (or maybe he hasn't come out officially to his own family)....He's in his 40's, lives in San Jose and has never once (never, EVER) been acknowledged to have a girlfriend - serious or casual (and his mom is the bragging type so if there was any chance of romance, we would've heard about it). He's not a bad looking guy and makes a great living at Apple, so I know he could've found a woman if he wanted to....I only saw him once in the past 20 yrs (back in 1999) so I don't have the closer communication to know more.

Anyway, I do think it's in the genes...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8