Thread: Well, new doc added Celexa to the Risperdone

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Well, new doc added Celexa to the Risperdone

So, I guess we will soon be knowledgeable about antidepressant use in young kids. argh.
    The Risperdone has done amazing things for Ella's sensory issues and her fits are so much better. But, she still has OCD and anxiety. Geeesh, the poor kid, even typing it makes me feel bad for her. She has an OCD thing about people wearing buttons...apparently left over from her sensory days?? not sure....been about 3 years now...and she is freaking out about my button shirts again and saying the same things every time she buckles herself in to her car seat so she is definitely having some OCD which the other doc said is nothing but "anxiety" in a different form, which makes sense. Anyway, so the doc feels the risperdone is working great for the "Irritability due to autism spectrum issues" because her tantrums are much fewer and father between....which is different from the other doc's dx. So far, three docs, three similar but differing dx...actually 4 docs. One says, off the autism spectrum and now on to possible bipolar because of the tantrums, another says strictly "mood disorder" and "anxiety disorder" and another wonders about bipolar because of the incredible tantrums taht dd is known for but is not sure. So, whatever. The new doc thinks she has irritability from autism spectrum. whatever it is, i hope she grows out of some of this.

so, now 2 meds.

and, the family is less than supportive on more meds.
    i need to vent about that!
    angi

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi Angi,

New York Times just did an article on children and anxiety, link below, may be of interest to you now, or save the info for the future. I didn't have a chance to read it but thought you may find it helpful. It's free to log in to the new york times, and for a while they did a series of articles on autism which were wonderful, you can always search their website to read them!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/31/he...anxiety&st=cse

October 31, 2008
    Combined Therapy Is Reported to Ease Anxiety in Children
    By BENEDICT CAREY
    Children and adolescents with disabling anxiety are most likely to recover when treated with a combination of talk therapy and an antidepressant medicine, according to the largest study to date of anxiety disorders in this age group.

The government-financed study, which tracked nearly 500 patients, found that 8 in 10 children who received the combined therapy improved significantly, compared with less than 6 in 10 who had either the drug or the talk therapy (known as cognitive behavior therapy) on its own.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wishing you good luck with Celexa, have you started it yet? Hugs

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Have you started yet? thinking of you all

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Great NY times article! THANKS!
    Such great timing with that article for us!
    She is in both, therapy and now taking celexa. She was on it for 6 days but an on call doc took her off of it after we called asking about "hyperactivity" Now, she is back on it, as apparently that can be a side effect?? (Not necessarily bi-polar activation) So far so good...keeping a close eye on her that is for sure. Already have seen GREAT changes in friend making at school in just a few days on the celexa (low dose!) she is SO MUCH happier and social at school and at home.

I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the support. This board is amazing as always!

Angi