Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: The fall of Sarah Palin

SueW is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I think (and hope) she had her 15 minutes...

ITA with all that's said here. The bottom line is that she's undereducated and underexperienced and does not seem to know it. She was treated differently, both because she's a woman, and her womanhood was exploited (Did any other female candidate dress so provocatively?) and because she was not capable and needed to be shielded.

She's going to have a tough time coming back here and trying to fit in again after her partisan mean-girl act. I agree that she may try to wiggle into Ted Steven's senate seat, and that some see her as the future icon of the GOP base. I think she'll go the way of Geraldine Ferraro - ever hear much of her? I also suspect she has narcissistic personality disorder. But honestly, I'll always hear her infamous answer to Katy Couric whenever I see her or hear her name.

Every year in early December, the governor sponsor's a holiday open house at the mansion in Juneau. The whole town is invited and a couple thousand attend. There is a recieving line, and elaborately decorated tables of cookies and punch, and youth choirs singing carols. Do you think Sarah will be up for it this year? I went last year, and I told her that though I didn't vote for her, I was impressed at her accomplishments, and would reconsier my vote in the future. Not sure I could say that this year.

frits is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

For me the absolute bottom line--what it really comes down to in the end--is her extreme views. If the Republicans want to push her forward to the nat'l level, well good luck with that. (and by that I mean good luck having the majority of voters support her, b/c I just can't see that happening however they mold and package and present her)

freddy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by sfpierce View Post
    turn down a promotion he "wasn't ready for"... So I don't think I can blame HER for grasping the opportunity offered...
    I agree. If the higher ups think you can handle the job, that's all a person generally needs. There might be other valid reasons to turn it down, but I doubt that a feeling of incompetence or unpreparedness is really on the list. If you're too incompetent, you're probably too incompetent to realize it, and if you're unprepared, you figure you can get prepared.

SueW is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by frits View Post
    For me the absolute bottom line--what it really comes down to in the end--is her extreme views. If the Republicans want to push her forward to the nat'l level, well good luck with that. (and by that I mean good luck having the majority of voters support her, b/c I just can't see that happening however they mold and package and present her)
    Aren't the views that raped women should enjoy the resulting gift of life and abortion enables incest, mainstream? Don't you think God gave us dominion over life so that we may freely and without restriction drive animal species to extinction rather than carefully plan development in protective ways? Is it not your right to track and shoot wolves from helicopters and then land and drag their orphaned puppies from the den and shoot them one-by-one in the head? Is it not your right to lie and exaggerate and invoke fear and incite hate in an attempt to sway voters? What extreme views are you talking about?

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default You know the *real* problem with SP?

For me it was that she's supposed to represent the "small town America". What an insult. There are plenty of people I know from small towns where I have lived, who share some of Palin's political views. We disagree but I respect them because they are serious people who want to work for the greater good, who are open-minded and big hearted.

Palin's appointment seems to celebrate a lack of curiosity and intellectual rigor and her choice of tactics were like something out of 4th grade recess. Maybe they wanted George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life but what they got was Mr. Potter's sleazy "hockey mom" cousin.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'm pro-choice .. but this is an very interesting explanation of people who are pro-life.

"Aren't the views that raped women should enjoy the resulting gift of life..."

I've NEVER seen this written or said or even implied by the many many pro-lifers I know. They believe abortion is murder. They are re-acting to saving the life of a baby. THAT IS NOBLE. I can respect that. I don't agree it is murder, so that is where I differ, but to try to spin their views that way is REALLY pushing it and thoughts like that is what will NOT help reduce the number of abortions, which is really what everyone (most) want.

No harm meant, you may just be blowing off steam..but if you are pro-choice like myself, this is not helping the cause.

(nothing personal really) I'm reacting to the statement.

SaraV is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post
    I agree. If the higher ups think you can handle the job, that's all a person generally needs. There might be other valid reasons to turn it down, but I doubt that a feeling of incompetence or unpreparedness is really on the list. If you're too incompetent, you're probably too incompetent to realize it, and if you're unprepared, you figure you can get prepared.
    There's a whole management principle that says this that was written about in the 70s -- the Peter Principle. Basically, everyone in an organization continues to be promoted up the ladder until they can no longer be promoted. But you figure out when that is by promoting them one notch too far and discovering that they cannot do the job they have been promoted to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

"The Peter Principle is the principle that "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence." While formulated by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1968 book The Peter Principle, a humorous treatise which also introduced the "salutary science of Hierarchiology", "inadvertently founded" by Peter, the principle has real validity. It holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Sooner or later they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out his duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence"."

freddy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by nmcd View Post
    Maybe they wanted George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life
    Maybe he should have tapped Huckabee.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My thoughts why SP turned me to Obama

She did appeal to the conservative republicans. My extended family loved her. Well I'm a moderate, so her views really turned me off. I think McCain lost because the number of moderate republicans are larger than the number of very conservative republicans. So by "pandering/appealling" to the conservatives they lost more people than they gained. Maybe the republicans need to reconsider who their "base" really is.

Also, I don't think that McCain would have lost the conservative republican vote has he picked someone more moderate like himself. They would have ended up still voting for him, but not liking it. It's a numbers game he lost.

justLaura is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I agree with that. Actually, I have a lot more respect for people who are pro life without a rape or incest "out"...because if your conscience tells you that it's a baby, it's a baby no matter how it got there. It doesn't stop being a baby because of its parentage.

In their view, a rape/incest victim who has an abortion creates two victims, not one.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast