Thread: Hand flapping,daytime teeth grinding & weird noises..m

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hand flapping,daytime teeth grinding & weird noises..m

Holt turned 4 in October, his hand flapping has always ebbed and flowed. But now he is flapping more, and grinding his teeth during the day.
    Of course if I ask his teachers if they notice they will say no, but they never notice anything He also refuses to go near a potty outside of the school setting. At school he readily stands near the urinal but in neither setting has ever peed in the potty!

Grant my 9 yer old makes a lot of weird sounds. At first I thought Tourettes related but now not sure. He does it mainly at home, walking around making animal sounds-bird, pig, dog. He seems unable to stop if you ask him to stop.

I figure that both boys are just exhibiting behavior typical to Autism, but as said the school NEVER notices anything. Just not sure if this is what typical kids do?

They both have dx already, Aspergers, and PDD-nos-at least medical dx. The school system still will not acknowledge Holt's dx-they have him as SDD(significantly developmentally delayed), and just in May finally changed Grant's label to autism. Though I think they do not want to truly acknowledge it still.

Sorry to ramble,
    Wendy

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hi Wendy

Are you worried as far as the issues getting worse? Have you talked to their doctors about it? Have you changed any of their supplements, diet, etc? It does seem very strange that the school has not even noticed. What do you think about going to observe?

BIG HUGS!

Susan

Hi Wendy, Miriam had an ebb & flow in teeth-grinding this past year. It started to get bad back in February or so, to the point that she's now got some little chips in the edges of her front teeth, and diminished to nothing by the end of the summer. No grinding at all these days. Since both she and Holt are close in age and have both the spectrum and epilepsy issues in common, perhaps there will be this in common as well...

So many things seem to ebb and flow with Miriam: teeth grinding, self-biting, food-flinging, language use, sleep issues. I'm never quite sure whether the ebb and flow has anything at ALL to do with whatever interventions we try!

How frustrating though, that Holt's teachers don't notice things...

Hugs,
    Joanne

And it is not just my kiddos, but others as well in the county in regards to not seeing behavior or things associated with autism. Currently the county has not ONE child labeled under Autism that is younger than 6 years old. At Grant's IEP meeting last week the spec.ed teacher said she doe snot even notice Grant with his hands/shirt in his mouth-the reg. ed teacher spoke up and said she does see him. It would be hard not to Grant's hands or shirt are always in his mouth!

I just do not know what is abnormal. I mean do other 9 year olds go around chirping like a bird, and do other 4 year old kids flap their hands? Are their other normal 4 year olds that have NEVER peed in the potty even when exposed to the concept?

The reg. dr sort of wipes his hands and always ask what Marcus Center thinks or suggested.

Val. is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Well, since I have only one not totally typical 8 year old, I can't compare to him. His teacher emailed me yesterday to say he was quacking like a duck. Nice......

BUT, I used to be an elem. teacher. Yes, there are a lot of typical kids that have habits that are annoying or odd...teeth grinding, making noises, humming, coughing over and over, Etc. But, hand flapping is usually considered a stim behavior and not just an annoying habit. For Tanner, the quacking, humming and nail picking are worse off his ADHD meds.

VAL~Thanks for sharing. Grant does the sounds from the moment he wakes up, stops at school, resumes when he comes home til bed. The only thing he does at school occasionally is repeat the teacher.