Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh, no! I'm getting a Bonnie Raitt, skunk stripe!

donnap72 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Oh, no! I'm getting a Bonnie Raitt, skunk stripe!

I have flaming red hair & have had stray gray hairs all my life but all of a sudden, I notice there is a huge concentration of them in one spot at my hairline above my left eye but only in that spot. I plucked out 12 of them tonight & there are more in there. Ahhhh! What am I going to do? I always swore I'd never dye my hair once I started going gray because you just can't get the same red color that I have now...my grandma walked around for years with burgundy hair! I didn't anticipate this, though. Dh says it's kinda sexy -- I'd look like Rogue from the X-Men. What a geek!

What do you all think? Skunk stripe -- cool or what? The good thing is that they're the same texture as my hair so they aren't all wirey & sticking out...yet!

LauraG1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default OK skunk woman....

LOL! OMG, I am just laughing at you plucking those hairs out! Seriosly, I have had a lot of gray for years now, but no one seems to notice except me or if I point it out! I'm sure its not noticable (I didn't notice a few weeks ago!) so don't sweat it. And I pluck mine out all the time.
    Laura (I emailed you today!)

Syd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Ooh, I got one too..

Exactly where yours is. I have red hair too. So I went out to dinner last month for my sil's 21st Birthday. We had a great bottle of 1985 cab, it was so good. Anyway she told me that girls go into the salon asking for a silver streak in there hair, this is in San Francisco. So she said I am in style. I am going to start dying my hair when someone notices the other grey hairs.

Anita

LL2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I'm not a fan of dying hair (and I started going gray in my mid-20's, so we're not talking theory here, LOL!). I think it looks awful as soon as the roots even start to peep out and I am not about to start worrying about touching my roots up every 2 weeks. Additionally, there are *some* people who pull it off and look pretty nice, but for the most part, people just look fake.

Certain hairstyles accentuate to appearance of your hair in some places more than others. I wear mine with a slight side park and brushed back from my face, so I probably end up with a bit of a "skunk stripe" effect too - more than if I wore it in a touseled, "all over" style anyway. But, to be honest, I just don't care. My dad was completely white by the time he was 50, so I always knew there was a good chance I would go that direction too, and I think it looks cool.

Default I have one in the same spot but I

don't have red hair. I part my hair on the opposite side and I also get highlights in my hair. I haven't wanted to start the all over color but my patch is getting bigger. I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with your red hair because red is hard to get right. My highlights last 3-4 months.

My Mom was a red head and now she is a blonde to cover the grey. She's going to be 70 in July.

Desneeze is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hair dye all the way!!!

Personally, I hate the way it looks.....on ANYBODY! I have a ton of gray (white actually) and I get my hair colored and highlighted to cover it all up. It is worth every penny. If you get it done right, your hair will look fabulous.....and so will YOU!

My mother has very dark hair. She went gray in that wonderful white with a gorgeous streak and salt and pepper (mostly pepper) everywhere else. Even now, at almost 80, she's not entirely gray. It looks nice on her because she has a cool skintone.

My sister is a flaming redhead. Gray tends to come in as a dingy gray on her and it looks terrible. It doesn't blend with her hair and looks just yellowy and yuck. If I had that, I'd be at the hairdressers monthly.

Reba's hair looks nice enough, but I'll bet you my last dollar that she pays a lot of money to make it look that "natural".

stacia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default LOL! I just noticed the same thing today AND

I dye my hair red!! It is just coming through anyway. Looks kinda whitish-blondish.

Spazzycat Guest

Default I too am a redhead and am developing a skunk stripe

I dye my hair, but use the temporary permanent color (Level II). It gradually fades off over a period of 2 months with each shampoo, so I'm not left with roots of one color and longer lengths with another color.

The hard part is getting the right color. I really liked Clairol's Natural Instincts, but they screwed with their colors and the reds they have now are just too bright. L'Oreal ColorSpa has a copper red that comes the closest to my own natural color and that's typically what I use. I've also had the salon do it, but my home results have been just as good as the salon results. I can't justify the $100.00 every 2 months to color it when I can do it at home for $7.00.

Default I have dark dark hair and about an inch stripe - flat white

Quote Originally Posted by donnap72

What do you all think? Skunk stripe -- cool or what?

I started mine in my mid 20s and now, my hair is still dark brown all over with sprinkles of white, with one dead white inch wide stripe from my widow's peak all the way to the end.

I used to think "gasp, you are old, lady", until I figured out just last year that my baby sister is hoping so much that she gets the same stripe. People love to talk about it and even come up and touch it to see if it's real (think the dark hair with stripe from Lily of the Monsters - that's my hair). Keep it - the reaction from people is a hoot - you'll have a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast