Thread: Girls Cheerleading

Default Girls Cheerleading

My family and I spent the weekend in Minneapolis, MN and visited the Mall of America on Saturday. A huge cheerleading competition was taking place in the large, center area of the mall and the place was crawling with cheer girls from about age 4 to teenagers.

Now, I'm in the well-insulated world of little boys, so I don't know much about girls cheering, but I was kind of shocked at the skimpy outfits and JonBenet-like make-up these girls were wearing - even the tiny ones who couldn't have been much more than 5 years old - heavy eye shadow and eye liner, bright red lipstick, low cut skirts and tiny, torso-baring tops.

I also noticed the almost rabidly "pro-cheering" parents with their "I'm a Cheer Mom" sweatshirts hanging on every cheer, ratting ponytails and re-applying their little cheerleaders' face powder (I saw this!)

Sadly, too, I saw quite a few little girls who were on the heavier side, some even with stretch marks showing, squeezed into these little outfits and looking so uncomfortable and sad . . .

Is girls cheerleading a popular extra-curricular or kind of a niche activity? It was quite the eye-opener -- probably brought home by the fact that you couldn't turn around without bumping into a cheerleader. Thank goodness for Legoland!

maryellen is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My son plays football. I am often taken aback by the outfits, cheers, songs, etc. of the cheerleaders. I am very thankful his little sister has decided that when she is eligible for Pop Warner next year, she will be playing football (flag) NOT cheering!

MelanieOH is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Our school has midget cheerleaders for the midget...

football team. Their outfits are deplorable. Their cheers are worse: crass and suggestive. I do not let my DD cheer. This, of course, does not stop DD from learning the cheers from her friends.

One actually has these lines in it. "...I shake my tu-tu. (Behind wiggling toward others.) And you, and you, can do it with me, too." Umh, no thank you.

I was at an international dance competition this summer, and what you describe was very much what I saw there, too. (A group I sing with performed a vocal number, DD did not dance, and I was fully covered!)

Melanie

I agree, I don't know what the parents are smoking to allow that. "Shake your stuff", "Shake your tu tu"--Yuk!! I let my daughter go to cheer camp once a year, but it is just put on by college students, there are no skimpy outfits (college cheer outfits are pretty normal) the little girls just wear sweats, no makeup, no suggestive language or moves. It's just go team, some dance moves. Cheerleading isn't bad per se, but making it into a child pageant show is nasty.

My niece is a competitive cheerleader, she has been for a number of years, she probably started when she was 4, she's 14 now. The team for which she cheers does not allow the girls to wear skimpy outfits - they are long sleeve shirts, no belly baring, cheerleader skirts and bloomers - definitely not the norm you see.

About the makeup - most of these competitions take place in big auditoriums, etc. w/ poor lighting, the girls do wear more makeup than would be considered tasteful, but I think it's pretty much inline w/ what girls have to wear for dance recitals, so that the faces are seen under poor lighting and professional photography.

Oh, and the routines that my niece's team does - yes they jump, shake, rattle and roll, but from what I've seen over the years, it's not crass nor are the songs inappropriate.

I think her team is pretty unique in this respect.
    ~jj

Default I have a DD in cheer and

all I can say is that there is Cheer and then there is Cheer. She is enrolled in the California Youth Spirit Corp and not in competitive cheer. My decision to enroll her in CYSC was based on my observation of competitve cheer. Girls are being told that they need to look so beyond their age, through makeup, dress and along with that attitude. I would not be supportive of cheer groups promoting skimpy uniforms or the use of excessive makeup. I believe it is more of a "Spirit" thing and not a competitive catty experience...