Thread: IVIG vs. Intralipids

Default IVIG vs. Intralipids

Dr. Coulam,

I am writing to you regarding IVIG vs. Intralipids.

I have read that there are some clinics that are totally abandoning IVIG and replacing it with Intralipids. I'm aware that there is limited research on Intralipids. I don't understand why a clinic would totally eliminate the use of a known successful strategy for one that does not have a large sample size.

I am currently weighing my options as to whether I should use IVIG or Intralipids. I am 39, have had an ectopic and 2 miscarriages. I have mildly elevated nk cells: killing activity=13, #=13%. I also have MTHFR hetero for C677T and A1298C. I feel that IVIG is proven but it is very expensive. I'm afraid to use a strategy that may not give me the best results possible.

Any input or clarity on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your help!
    Lori

Intralipids are still considered experimental although preliminary data suggest they are as effective as IVIg for treatment of elevated NK cells. However, I\it really depends on whether you have other immune risk factors such as positive APA when making an decision regarding appropriate treatment. Dr. Coulam

Dr. Coulam,

All of my APA's are normal. Except for MTHFR, my Thrombophilia panel is all normal. My Immunolglobulin panel is also all normal.

Does this help to make my decision more clear cut? I'm really struggling with this one!

Thanks again!

It is difficult to give advice about specific patient treatmemt without benefit of evaluation and consultation. We treat elevated NK cells with either IVIg or intralipid depending on the individual paptiens situation. You should talk with your doctor who knows your particular situation the best. Dr. Coulam