Thread: low progesterone

Default low progesterone

Hi there. I am 7 weeks pregnant. My progesterone levels so far are:
    4 wks - 10.4
    5 wks - 11.4
    6 wks - 10.07 A heartbeat at 121 bpm and baby measured 6 wks 3 days.

I have been on 200 mg suppositories since 4 wks preg. I have been on 7500 units of heparin twice a day since week 6.
    My docotor says my progesterone is fine as long as it stays above 10.

I am very nervous as to why the level is low and not responding to the suppositories. My last pregnancy with the same dosages of heparin and progesterone ended in a great success. I know my progesterone levels were never that low.

Should I ask my doctor to increase the supplements? Is this pregnancy at great risk of loss?

Thank you!

At 6 weeks of gestation with a heartbeat of 123 per minute and a normal embryo length, serum progesterone levels do not predict pregnancy outcome. The pregnancy sounds fine at this point. I agree with your docotr that you should not worry about your progesterone levels. In fact, I would not check them again but follow your ultrasounds. If, however, you are really at 7 weeks and the embryo is measuring 6 weeks, then we again need to follow the ultrasound rather than the progesterone. More progesterone wont help at this point. Let us know what the next ultrasound shows. Dr. Coulam

Default progesterone still dropping

I wanted to update you with my progesterone issue. Today I am 8 weeks and 2 days pregnant. My progesterone level last week (7 weeks pregnant) came back at 9. I was concerned so I the doctor scheduled an ultrasound today. The baby measured 8 weeks 6 days and the heartbeat was 188 bpm. After the ultrasound I had my progesterone and hcg drawn and he ordered the results stat. They came back at 6.5 for progesterone and 44,000 hcg. He prescribed prometrium 3x day at 100mg. He told me to continue with the vaginal suppositories 200mg at night. I am still on the 7500 units of heparin 2x a day too.

What can I expect statiscally for the prognosis of this pregnancy?

Is there a chance there is a chromosomal issue and that is why the progesterone is continually dropping even though the baby is growing and seeems to be thriving?

Can the progesterone supplements save this pregnancy if it is indeed chromosomally normal?

Thank you!

I would continue to follow yuor ultrasounds to help answer your questions. You are doing everything you can at this point. Dr. Coulam