Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sierra is wacked out, help!

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Doctor Update

Thanks guys for your support. It means so much!

I love our new doctor. He's so great and supportive. He said we really need to stay gluten free and to get much better about dairy free. She really needs to be casein free. Also, he is prescribing some new supplements to try to help calm her. Then, if we still need help after that, he is recommending some behavorial therapy (if I can afford it).

I'm crummy at the dairy free because it's hard for me to find food that Savanna will eat so I give in to the diary and then I end up giving it to Sierra too. Sierra loves all food so it's easy to keep her dairy free. I'll have to take it to a new level though and learn how to cook more food that Savanna will eat. It will probably save me money in the long run instead of buying a lot of expensive gluten free stuff from the health food store.

Here's her supplement list in case you are interested:

She's been on these for a few months now.....
    Spectrum Complete (Kirkman multi-vitamin)
    1000 mg vitamin C 2x a day (she's deficient in somethings that imply a vitamin C deficiency)
    Vitamin B-6 P5P
    Klaire's Complete probiotic
    Calprylic Acid (to help fight yeast)
    Cod Liver Oil

These 2 are new today
    L-Theanine 50mg 3x a day
    Houston's Enzymes (for digesting gluten and casein) at every meal
    Add GABA then 5-htp in that order in a month if the L-Theanine does not produce the calming affects we are looking for

Edit - I forgot to mention that if this doesn't work, then he wants to consider some low dose ADHD meds if she continues to go nuts at school.
    Last edited by sugarsue; 01-28-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: forgot something

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Does Sierra or Savanna need to be dairy/caisin free? Or both?

That must be so hard. But I guess you get use to it once it because routine and you have established snacks and foods.

hugs

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc View Post
    Does Sierra or Savanna need to be dairy/caisin free? Or both?

That must be so hard. But I guess you get use to it once it because routine and you have established snacks and foods.

hugs
    Sierra is allergic to dairy and Savanna is not (according to the allergy tests). Our doc believes they should both be dairy free due to their neurological behavorial issues. I must say, I let them eat a ton of dairy tonight (just bought a lot of junk for them with dairy so it's like a last hurrah) and they were a mess. I hope to see as much benefit with removing it again as I did with the gluten, which has already changed our lives.

It is hard, but once you get used to it, and see the benefits, it is easy and oh so worth it. At least gluten free is super easy for us. The dairy is harder but I know I will figure it out!

Susan

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

SUSAN~so sorry to hear the news about Sierra. So glad you have a supportive Dr. I am crossing my fingers that the new supplements help.

Default Vitamin D

Have you had her Vitamin D levels checked? This is the time of year that kids with vitamin D deficiency start having a lot of problems.

Erin

Oh, super interesting. I have low vit. D and have to take daily supplements. I have had Savanna checked but not Sierra. Thank you for the recommendation!!

She is taking cod liver oil but we just started that back up since all this started.

Susan

check the following blog - I LOVE her recipes - www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot - she is gluten free due to celiac and dairy free due to food sensitivities. Her buckwheat chocolate chip cookies are our family "standard". The thing is, with kids and these dietary changes, you have to be able to provide suitable substitutes for the typical "junk" foods today's kids have free and easy access too. It's a job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2