Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 26 degrees + shorts - yay or nay?

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default 26 degrees + shorts - yay or nay?

I have a hard time comprehending how parents dress their kids in shorts when it is 26 degrees out. DS asks all the time to wear shorts and the answer is always no. When I pick him up at school, he's one of the only boys with a coat on, too.

Can someone explain what these mothers are thinking? I know they want their kids to be the "cool" one. (no pun intended) This is definintely a trend where I live and I have a hard time understanding how the mothers who do this can send their kids out the door with shorts and a shirt on in this cold weather.

Opinions?

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I just don't care enough about this issue to make a big deal of it. You don't get a cold from being cold, and they'll grow up and realize how ridiculous it is to be cold soon enough. I used to insist on walking a mile to school with no hat and sopping wet hair because I thought it was fun to crunch the icicles in my hair and hats were dorky. Now I wear a hat everyday when it is cold.

zoeyz is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

For me it has nothing to do with being cool. I personally go out in shorts in this kind of weather if I'm only going to be outside for short runs to and from the car. I let DS go out in shorts too for indoor sports. DS doesn't want to wear shorts to school right now, but if he did, I don't think I'd care. He'd learn not to do it if he were cold doing it.

MelanieOH is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Well, I'd tell DD, age8, to wear tights underneath the shorts....

DS, age 5, has trouble transitioning in spring and fall. He has worn pants over or under shorts many times.

That's how we handle it.

Melanie

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

26 degrees all day ? or 7am and by noon it's 65 degrees ?

That is my struggle where we live ...

But assuming it was cold all day, I would probably say 3rd grade and up, I'd let them decide, like it was said, if they were cold enough and uncomfortable enough ..they wouldn't do it.

Why assume that it is the parents fault ? Maybe they are trying to teach their stubborn kid a lesson ?

Default Cold all day

The kids go outside for recess so it isn't like they are running from the car to the school. They are playing outside in 20-some degree weather in shorts and a shirt. I just shake my head and can't comprehend the logic on this one.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hmm, when I grew up in Michigan, my Mom worked at the school, and they would not let the kids outside for recess if they were not properly dressed (and if the school did not have enough extra coats etc). I'm thinking they would send a note home to the family to dress their kids for the weather.

Default We get weekly notices

"reminding" everyone to make sure their child is dressed appropriately. It clearly falls on deaf ears. I bet if they started keeping kids in at recess, they wouldn't come dressed in shorts anymore.

northy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default as a mom to 3 boys who have their own unique (m)

ideas of how to dress, there are some battles i am just not interested in, and this would be one of them...

torrin, 5, would wear shorts and t-shirts all winter... so far, he still listens when i sternly tell him to go upstairs and put on some pants, but if he didn't, i wouldn't fight it... i'd let natural consequences take their toll...

that said, torrin tends to insist on wearing only a sweatshirt or a light jacket out when he should be wearing a winter coat... if we're just running from the car to a store or restaurant, i don't worry... if he had to walk to school, there would likely be a battle, but as long as he is not at risk for frostbite, i would let him learn the lesson the hard way...

my other 5 year old insists on wearing long sleeves and long pants all summer, even in sweltering hot weather... it's a sensory thing and i do my best to find very light clothes for him, but i stand ZERO chance of talking him out of this habit before he is ready...

n

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What my child's daycare director told me: she let her kids dress any way they wanted assuming safety wasn't an issue (like, if they were going skiing) because she figured that getting cold was their problem not hers. My kids hate coats, partly because they are a nuisance in their school lockers. So I tell them it's cold out and they should wear a coat, but if they ignore me I don't keep at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast