Thread: back from neurodev. ped appt

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default back from neurodev. ped appt

We are going to do a trial of a drug called Tenex. It is actually a hypertension drug but has been used for a long time to help ADHD patients as well as people with tics and tourette's. Has anyone heard of it? It is not a stimulant, hopefully with help with sleep issues and doesn't typically cause appetite problems.

The doctor picked this one because its 2 doses for 24 hours. Apparently they are coming out with a once a day in the fall. It is suppose to be especially good for aggression and impulsivity issues. Impulsivity and distractability are our biggies but aggression is 3rd. The other nice thing is it is not a controlled substance so its non-addictive.

I have to do more research about it tonight but we picked it up already. We will start Friday night. Its cheap too since there is a generic version for it.

Whats nice is the book Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids, Third Edition (which is brand new, 2009 edition) has info about tenex in it. Makes me feel better.

So we will see. It can take 2-3 weeks to get to the appropriate dose but if it helps him sleep in the long run, well.

The only real down side is the sleepy factor. It can make the kids overtired which is no good either if they are like zombies in the morning.

Karen

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thats how I'm feeling about it but hopeful.