Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 504 Tomorrow Not sure how to prepare

PPeanut is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default 504 Tomorrow Not sure how to prepare

I took ds to a private neuropsych to try to get a diagnosis. He as diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Neuropsych gave me a "sanitized" version of the report for school that alluded to the ODD but didn't use the label. DS also has been treated for sensory processing disorder by an OT in the past. He still is sensory sensitive but is no longer in OT.

I am not sure what to expect or how to prepare. I'm not really even sure what to ask for to help him.

Thanks!

Carol Anne

edited to add: I could never get the child study team to evaluate because he is not falling behind. He is miserable though, starting to hate school, cries in school nearly every day etc.

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Maybe give the neuropsych a quick call and ask what school services he feels would help your ds?
    OT twice or three times a week for 30 mintes one on one to work on sensory issues?
    Are you comfortable with your ds receiving social skills classes at the school?
    Does he need extra help in reading or math?
    I think you have to consider what are the difficulties your ds is experiencing in school vs what the school can offer. Also, the impact of pulling him out of class for services, could leave him at an academic disadvantage.

GL! N

Thanks Nancy!

I wasn't sure if I 504 would provide services or just "accomodations".

I would like the school OT to evaluate and see how much his sensory might be getting in the way. Also for low tone/fine motor issues. He hates writing soo much and I don't know if its coming up with the idea of what to write or if its the physical act of writing?

The teacher sent home his handwriting book one weekend and he had 12 pages to do! She wanted everyone caught up before they moved on to cursive. He told me last night he is now falling behind in cursive too.

He is very smart and picks concepts up very fast, so I am not worried about him falling behind in the learning BUT if he gets behind in the worksheets for pull outs and teacher makes him make it up, that would be a problem for him and add to his anxiety.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

NancyR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Leela has a 504, and it does provide services (OT, PT and social skills) AND accommodations (she has a special chair to sit in during floor time when her trunk get tired and she also has an aide to help her on the stairs, etc... ).

SOunds like OT could be a great solution for both sensory AND low tone - look into trunk strength as well. Does he have the strength to sit up at his desk, or does he tire easily due to low trunk tone? (Does he start leaning on the desk after X number of minutes?) Can he use a hand held typing device instead? Is he able to tell you what happens and why he's falling behind? Does he get tired, bored, distrated, etc...? Is he forming his letters well, but then just tires out is the question. Request the OT do a "push in" eval and observe what's happening in the classroom (vs. a one on one eval in a quiet separate room) with all the normal distractions to help come up with a plan.

I would also ask that the teacher works closer with you so he doesn't fall so far behind in his work sheets. Why can't she send a few home on the weekends so he can catch up. Very disheartening for a kid to try to catch up 12 pages as a time vs. just 2 or 3 every week.

What about learning disabilities? Is he having problems reading? Comprehending what he reads? What about math? any difficulties there?

HUgs! HTH! N

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

The best advice I have which is not from but from a special ed teacher here in NJ, is to go in ready to identify where he struggles as specifically as possible along with strategies for helping him. If you give them a list of what and hows, you are more likely to get a good response, versus going in with a dx and asking them to figure out what he needs. The labels themselves are not as important as what he needs from them, kwim?

Make a list of problem behaviors to start with. Then add the list of suggestions (look online, use your experience, ask the dr). Its alot of work but has a much better chance of a quick implementation.

Good luck!

I agree with BriNJ... the more you are prepared the better the meeting will go and I will bet the more you will get.

I think you may want to separate the 2 issues... 504 vs IEP.

If you want your DS to receive OT services, I would give them the report and indicate that based on the dx, you want the school's OT to evaluate him in order to determine eligibility for an IEP. This will take 60 days. Remember, do this in writing.

In a seond letter, I would recommend you ask that a 504 plan be written and put in place ASAP due to the private dx. Then in 60+ days, should he qualify for services thru an IEP, the 504 accomidations already in place can be rolled into the IEP. Plus, if the school determines he does not meet the criteria for an IEP, the 504 plan still stands and is in place.

I had my DS evaluated by an audiologist and she gave me a firm dx of APD (auditory processing disorder). In a letter I advised the school of the dx, highlighted the recommendations, requested a 504 plan and even gave them a draft copy of the accomidations I wanted. Believe it or not... they took all that I had requested, put it on their form and the meeting was just for me to agree and sign the form.

So, I had done all the "leg work" for them and all they had to do was agree!

If you want my draft 504 accomidations as a place to start, just let me know and I 'll be happy to send you a copy.

Also, call your former OT and tell them you are drafting a 504 plan and ask them what they would include if they were to write one.

-Robin

Robin I would love a copy. Actually APD was suggested to me by another mom and I'm wondering if it could apply?

He hasn't seen the OT in four years now and she has left the agency. When I tried to get records last year it was impossible. The agency also put us on a wait list for another eval and then never called back. I know I dropped the ball on this.

Its just so hard to sort out what is ADHD, whats anxiety and whats sensory, kwim?

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to sit down and try to get my thoughts in order come up with needs/suggested accomodations in writing.

Thanks for all the ideas Nancy. I will aks that the OT look at trunk strength too. He does seems to slouch and slump at home when doing homework (when he not bouncing off the walls that is)

I am going to ask that the handwriting book be sent home every friday so I can make sure he is caught up.

I had though about typing, but he doesn't know how to type yet. I think I will get him a kids "learn to type" program and start working on it. At least that could be something for 3rd grade where I am told they do a lot more writing.

The neuropsych didn't identify any learning disabilities. In fact he was average to above average in almost everything. I know, why am I complaining, right? He is really struggling emotionally though and I want to figure out how to help him before his intelligence is no longer enough to help him compensate.

I am wondering about dysgraphia and will suggest that tomorrow.

Thanks for all the ideas. It is really helping me to organize my thoughts. The kid comes by the ADHD honestly!

Thanks, I have started a list like this. I have also asked him to tell me what makes it hard to concentrate too and what he thinks would help.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Lots of good suggestions so far. Keep us updated. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast