Thread: Ideas for GFCF lunches???

Default Ideas for GFCF lunches???

Once upon a time, I tried a GF diet. I would like to go GFCF for my kids. I would like to see if behavior changes and see if meds would still be necessary.
    What are some good ideas for GFCF lunches at school. We have found a lot of the GF breads...quite frankly, disgusting. My son, who loves his milk, was also not fond of the rice milk.
    How can I do GFCF with my kids and still have them eat. DD is very, very picky...wont eat rice.
    Joy

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Sierra (7) will eat just about anything I pack. If you can pack it and keep it warm or cold, she's happy (leftovers, tuna salad w/ crackers, lettuce wraps w/ lunch meat... really anything). But Savanna (6) is another story. Plus, I'm not a great cook and have trouble myself coming up with ideas. I totally agree with you on the bread problem. I love Sami's millet and flax bread if cross contamination is not a problem www.samisbakery.com.

If Savanna eats good breakfasts and dinners, I am pretty relaxed about lunch. I usually pack a variety of things and they have so little time to eat, she is not eating a huge amount. I have trouble getting her protein at lunch so I just become a stickler for the other meals. Anyway, here's a list of some things I pack....

Fruit (fresh or cups)
    Nuts
    jerky (Oberto brand)
    pepperoni
    Veggie sticks w/ salad dressing
    pickles
    GF granola bars
    Lunch meat w or w/o crackers
    Chips
    Snapea Crisps
    dry cereal

I'm sure others will have way more interesting ideas. But these seem to work for my girls. GOOD LUCK!

Susan
    Last edited by sugarsue; 02-11-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot something

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I do GF but I usually do leftovers and I have microwave access. In terms of breads, many of them are disgusting. One that I have found that is acceptable is The Grainless Baker Sandwich Bread. It beats anything else I have had (and even someone that I know that has had celiac disease for a long time thought it was great and she never had it before). I will eat a PB&J with it. I didn't check it for casein -- oops sorry, it has milk powder. A friend of mine who did GFCF for her DD used the Gluten Free Pantry mixes -- I haven't tried them or checked them for CF but you might look at them.

There are some decent crackers out there, lunch meat (I believe that Boars Head are all GF), fruit, raw veggies, pb dip (can make w/ hot water, pb, soy sauce and sesame oil).

I wouldn't sweat a major lunch if you can get some protein and some carbs included. I know that something crunchy in lunch is something I always want.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Renee

One thing DS loves in his lunches is pumkin pie. If your son likes it, perhaps you could substitute some kind of soy/rice milk for the evaporated milk in the recipe.

We also pack GF pasta in a thermos and peanut butter between two tortillas sometimes.

great ideas...thanks!

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

two great hits here for lunchbox are

refried beans (out of can)
    and fritos to dip in

or mexican pizza as we call them:
    tostadas shells (the flat cruchy taco like shells)
    with bean dip spread on it
    then sprinkle various things like shredded carrots etc..

he also likes homemade soups but likes them with less liquid in them...so i drain most of it.

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2 View Post
    he also likes homemade soups but likes them with less liquid in them...so i drain most of it.

Funny, my girls like the liquid drained out too!

Great ideas!! Thanks. Joy

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

for my guy its a hand cordination thing. if too much liquid on his spoon its spills. he loves to drink the brth out of a cup or with a straw though. just not from a spoon