Thread: ipod limits?

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default ipod limits?

My 10 year old son just inherited my old ipod nano as DH bought me an ipod touch for a present. He listens to it all the time and I find it both a relief (since he's not fighting with his brother of vying for my attention when I'm trying to work) and quite rude. I told him that he can't listen to it during social times, when we go to the doctors' etc - I just hate that image of the "plugged in, zoned out" pre-teen and teen and can totally seee that happening.

So, what kinds of rules should we have about when he can and can't listen? What's polite/rude in terms of listening to music?

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My kids have mp3 players and our rule is that they can use them when they are doing solitary things (like reading or crafts etc) but that if someone speaks to them and they do not answer, the mp3 player gets turned off for the rest of the day. They cannot use them when we are together as a family or doing things that involve others. My kids do have speakers for thier mp3 players if they want to listen while we are doing things as a family (they can always put music on if they like).

I teach college and it truly annoys me to see my students with headphones/earbuds. My rule in class is the same as at home- I dont want to see them while we are actively in class but they can wear them during independent work time (I'd rather them listen to music while working on independent projects then socialize which is just too tempting for them).

northy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default we haven't run into THIS problem yet, however (m)

Quote Originally Posted by jvirginia View Post
    My 10 year old son just inherited my old ipod nano as DH bought me an ipod touch for a present. He listens to it all the time and I find it both a relief (since he's not fighting with his brother of vying for my attention when I'm trying to work) and quite rude. I told him that he can't listen to it during social times, when we go to the doctors' etc - I just hate that image of the "plugged in, zoned out" pre-teen and teen and can totally seee that happening.

So, what kinds of rules should we have about when he can and can't listen? What's polite/rude in terms of listening to music?
    i *think* i would let them tune out while waiting at the doctor's office... i would also let them bring nintendo ds's (sound off)... waiting anywhere SUCKS and it's particularly hard for kids... and some kids don't like going to the doctor's, so you have that added stress...

however, while with the doctor being checked out - the ipod would definitely have to be of...

n

Hmmm, thinking about some of our doctor's appointments and my sons hissy fits- maybe I should let him turn the mp3 player ON during the exam, lol. Just kidding but only sort of!

Kerlin is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

This seems like a sensible policy. I would, however, probably exclude mine using an MP3 player while reading time since unless it is really soothing background music they probably are not concentrating on the music. My DS (9) does not like even classical music on when he reads in our living room. Ipods are not (yet) a topic in our family.

novice5 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Related question on Ipod use....Do you *manage* what does on his Ipod?
    Just thinking ahead. DS is only 61/2 and I have no intentions of getting him an Ipod for another maybe 2-3 yrs, but just wondering about that.

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yes, for the most part. We have a single computer with all of our music on it and I help him make playlists, plus I am the one who has to pay for any music so I get to select it. I did let him get one song with a profanity in it (itunes has ratings) because he already knew the song and he's extremely responsible about language - he knows swear words but would not use them, and in fact gets very upset when DH and I slip up.

He is very into tween Disney pseudo-rock (YUK) like the Jonas Brothers, but also some more traditional rock/pop music. 10 is a world away from 6 1/2, it is amazing.

Yes, DH and I manage the music on the mp3 players as the software is on our computer - I will retain veto power even when I trust the kids to load the mp3's themselves. My biggest problem with it is DH's and my versions of appropriate music are very different. Still, nothing goes on the mp3's that is really inappropriate but I often question DH's taste!

ReneeNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I'm not fond of iPods in public places...

Meaning the mall, stores, etc. Waiting for an appointment, yes. During an appointment, no. I think that people are too tuned out of the world when they are walking around w/ either a cellphone stuck to their head or earbuds parked in their ears.

I manage all the music on iPods. Younger DD (7) just got a shuffle for stopping thumbsucking. She picked as much of DH and I's music (classic rock for the most part) as she did the "tween" Disney type music. I do let them have them in the car if they want and will probably let them have for reading if they want although I'm not sure that older DD (9) can handle that.

Renee