Thread: Vick's Vapo Rub on the feet for coughs (m)

pamfran is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Vick's Vapo Rub on the feet for coughs (m)

WOW! It's freaky but it totally works!

I was reading the thread about safe decongestants last night, and saw smf3's suggestions about the vick's on the feet.

I googled around and found lots of positive comments on how well it works, although no one can really say why - some people mention that feet have large pores, and it goes into the bloodstream from the feet, some people think it's the reflexology of rubbing that part of the foot . . .

But, anyway, my 5 yo ds was up sniffling and coughing all night the night before last, so I decided to try it last night - my dh thought I was insane.

Anyway - not a sniffle or a cough all night! Thanks, smf3!

I will say that when he woke up and I took the socks off, he did start coughing again - and he was a bit sniffly/coughy when I sent him off to school this morning, so it's not like it cured his cold, or anything - but it did let him (and ME) sleep all night.

Cool!

smf3 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

LOL! People think I am a total moron when I suggest that, but it really does work. I thought the person I heard it from was off their rocker too, so I understand the reaction

I figure one of the most important things when getting over something is to get a good night's sleep....and I may not understand how this works, but it sure lets you get that good sleep!

Glad it worked so well for you! Hope your ds feels better soon!!

Shawna

Default Yeah - my DH still thinks I'm a freak for doing it (m)

even though it actually worked . . . LOL!

But, hey, anything we can do to make the little ones more comfortable, healthy, and get more sleep (so WE can get more sleep!) - is a very valuable thing! Also, I love that it's totally harmless and doesn't involve medication of any kind - just stinky feet!

I'm also a big advocate of sinus rinsing - don't get me started on that topic!

I do plan to use this method on my own feet next time I am congested!

Thanks again for the suggestion (and the hugs!!!).

- Pam

Default Didn't work for me, unfortunately...

I read about this I think in the People's Pharmacy column in the paper, and tried it really wanting it to work... sadly, still coughed all night. Oh well, another great use for Vick's Vapo Rub that DOES work for me is as a moisturizer for the severe cracked/bleeding skin I get on my hands each winter. After just one night of Vick's under cotton gloves there's a vast improvement, and a couple more nights and my skin is completely healed. When I notice skin starting to dry out again I do another night treatment and all is well.

Default Sorry it didn't work - maybe it's only a kid thing?? (m)

BUT - thanks for the tip about the cracked hand skin.

I've been having trouble with this all winter, and nothing seems to help. I will definitely try the vick's for this, as I'm sick of my fingers hurting all the time!

- Pam

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Okay I feel a little like Chicken Little always screaming about the sky falling (I'm really not) but I needed to mention this: and I will preface this with the fact that I am a big believer in Vicks Vapour Rub. Always makes me feel better (at least mentally) when I'm stuffy.

Recently though - right along the lines of cough syrups being potentially dangerous for young children - was a caution of Vick's being dangerous for YOUNG children (under 6). It has to do with them have smaller airways than adults.

This article specifically references rubbing it on feet.

Default Sigh. Well, that's depressing. But thanks for the info (m)

What I got out of the article, however, is that it's mostly dangerous for kiddoes 2 and under - although it does also say under 6.

Luckily, my ds's are 5.5, and I'm not AS concerned about it as I would have been when they were younger. I may still use it at times when I'm desperate, though - esp as they get older.

Thanks again, Chicken Little!

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pamfran View Post
    What I got out of the article, however, is that it's mostly dangerous for kiddoes 2 and under - although it does also say under 6.

Luckily, my ds's are 5.5, and I'm not AS concerned about it as I would have been when they were younger. I may still use it at times when I'm desperate, though - esp as they get older.

Thanks again, Chicken Little!
    I'm thinking that at 5.5, unless they are medically fragile - you don't have much to worry about. 'cept of course being hit by the North Star.

smf3 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

My dd is also 5 1/2. I always used the baby formulated stuff for her when she was younger.

Never hurts to question things!

Shawna