Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any one else have to deal with their...

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Thank you Beth

It's interesting because this is my new "philosopy" I think he may have dyslexia and I am sure a visual processing. He's been tested and doesn't even make it on the charts for the visual processing test.

He definintely has writing problems but it is because he has Erb's palsy so that is no surprise.

He *acts" ADHD but his OT seems to think that his visual processing disorder is presenting like ADHD and he is visually overstimulated and not processing correctly. His speech and language have always been high off the charts. He was putting words together at 10m old and now looking back, it all makes sense. He was overcompensating for his visual processing. To this day, he will walk into things right in his path. His eyes have been tested twice. It is not a vision problem. It is a processing issue.

He does have issues with anyone who tries to go head to head with him and get into a power struggle. It's all over at that point. Luckily the one OT I love (and pay out of pocket for, unfortunately) gets him and is amazing with him--we are seeing such improvement. The one on our insurance is one of the people who thinks she can show him she is the boss. Never, ever, ever works with an oppositional child. She hasn't figured that out. So we can't go back. This is going to be how the education system is going to work for him to. Teachers who think they can ride him and break him are in for a big suprise. I've got a long road ahead of me.

I've been trying to pursue the dyslexia avenue though they are telling me he is a little young. But it's on my list of things to explore because something is very wrong and I know that he is a very bright child with so much to offer but in the wrong hands, so much damage can be done to his self esteem. I've gotta find the balance and it isn't going to be an easy road.

Right now I am getting him tested and getting him support for kindergarten. I'm working on making sure he is placed in the "right" class with a teacher that can work with him and that will be most important.

Thanks again for your response. Good luck to your little guy. This parenting stuff is so not easy!

I think she's going out on a limb here telling you to look into ADD. If he is indeed academically advanced for his age, and it sounds like he may be, then that may be a part of your issue. We deal with both of these issues - in addition to others! - and I think just watching him develop AND requesting a teacher for 1st grade who would be a good match for him (trust me on this...you need this and your son deserves this) will be a good plan for you. Also, boys weren't made to sit in desks and be obedient and do worksheets. Keep that in mind, too!

LL2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think that a good teacher will have insight resulting from exposure to a wide variety of children. I think as a result they can often say with confidence whether a child is on the focused or unfocused side, active versus hyperactive, etc. So I do think their thoughts should certainly be taken into consideration and they are things parents should keep an eye on as time goes by - particularly if more than one teacher independently arrives at the same conclusion.

OTOH, I think the idea that a happy and redirectable kindergartner who is performing at "grade level" is definitely a situation where "watch and wait" is the preferred strategy. The teacher may have given you very valuable information - if he seems to hit a lot of difficulties in first grade, it might be the first thing you look at. But I do agree with one of the other posters that the labels are bandied about way too quickly in this day and age, particularly with boys (I never realized how incredibly female-biased the elementary school system was until I had a boy in it!). I got on my soapbox about this in a similar thread below, so I will spare you the rant, but my feeling on this is certainly take it under advisement and don't reject it as a possibility if issues emerge in the future - but I sure wouldn't take any action now.

McGoo is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Nope, never, are you kidding?... more

Now, I do have a 6.5yo girl being "unfocused" in Kindergarten. It may end up that she has borderline ADD (the inattentive type that mommy has) or is somewhat gifted or most likely a bit of both, but still she is pretty much a normal Kindergartener. She is not a dainty girl - while she likes typical "girl" stuff - princesses, dolls, etc..., she is just as likely to grab a sword or a live lizard to play with, and she is quite verbal and physical. Her teacher is always on her back, but IMO her some of her expectations are just completely unrealistic. ex. - She makes them whisper at lunch fer cryin' out loud! And I really hate that she often takes away dd's recess - because that is not going to help dd behave better at all.

Kindergarteners are not little adults - they are silly, goofy, wiggly little creatures and that's completely normal. I think watchful waiting is called for. With a little more interesting/challenging classwork and a different teacher, next year will tell you (and me) whether there is need to investigate ADD.

Janet

Default Thank you to all of you....

This made for quite a topic. Thank you for sharing your experiences and views on this subject, it has brought me valuable insight. I think part of the problem may be that this teacher was my DD's teacher 6 yrs ago. Of course, my DD was FOCUSED and listened to every word her teacher had to say and of course my DS is now being compared to her to an extent. To this day, she is very attentive...different "species" totally different person. I catch myself making comparisons...it's not fair and I know it. I love the child my DS is, focused or not. I think I will make it a point to drop by and observe my child in class... He is fortunate to be in a school that will test him at the end of this school year and again upon entering 1st grade to determine at what level in 1st grade he should be placed. There are 5 different levels within each grade, which I love. He will even be tested during the school year and moved up or down based on performance. I'm hanging on for the ride of a lifetime, one just never knows...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2