Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It is too easy to get guns in this country ...

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think that is the problem though, in your scenerio the unbalanced guy shooting a police officer - we'll kind of like a pit bull - many times this is the first time that person has committed a crime - and everyone is shocked. So how could more enforcement of laws help ? When the guys is screened he's an upholding citizen, we don't know the guy is unbalanced until the first time he goes nuts.

What are the plenty of ways to avoid this, how can you predict without discrimination who is going to go nuts and who isn't - the only way I see is to not let anyone have a gun ?

Interesting think I saw on CNN yesterday, that "gun violence" has gone steadily down since the 1980s - and this on CNN. So gun ownership has gone up, but gun-violence down ....hmmm this tells me things are moving in the right direction, we have a saying at work "Don't fix what is not broken"

Kim of VA is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default The VA Tech Wacko Killer ....

had no problems passing a background investigation and LEGALLY securing several semi-automatic weapons to shoot and kill 32 innocent victims as well as to shoot another 17 that miraculously survived. This despite the fact that he had been in psychiatric care for YEARS in the very state in which he LEGALLY bought the weapons and carried out the massacre. He had already tangled with local police for stalking two women at university, so he was on police radar. He had no problem purchasing high capacity magazines (for extra high kill numbers) for his weapons off of ebay (ebay for goodness sake!)

Is this an acceptable price to pay to ensure ones right under the second amendment? This crime was PREVENTABLE. But the meager gun control laws that have been passed are a joke, with little funding, oversight, or enforcement teeth. It is still ridiculously easy for a very mentally unstable person to legally buy semi-automatic weapons.

I do not understand the problem with enacting and then enforcing common sense gun control laws to make it much more difficult for known crazies and criminals from legally obtaining guns, even if it means that law-abiding, sane citizens must endure longer wait times, and pay more for their guns to offset costs for thorough background checks. Even after the VA Tech massacre, private sellers at gun shows in VA and 33 other states can sell a gun to any person WITHOUT A BACKGROUND CHECK. Is that really reasonable? Are the rights of private sellers to make business profits on gun sales without "onerous background checks" greater than the rights of the general public to be safe from gun-toting wack jobs?

I'm not trying to take away anyone's right to bear arms. Just the crazy or criminal ones. And the only way to do that is to gain tighter control on inventory from weapons manufactures, sellers, and owners as well as the black market.

I see your point. I agree, but what about the woman who suddenly needs to protect herself from a crazy ex ? She needs a gun immediately, but cannot get one because the checks take too long. So if she dies because she cannot protect herself ? Is that an acceptable price to pay. I do admit this is less likely than your example - but only because most women will cower and lock doors as opposed to being assertive, but what about those who WANT to try to protect themselves ? Do we just figure that that is an acceptable cost ? Whose life is worth more ? Or do we just have to look at it as a numbers game ?

wanted to also add - why make more laws ? In this case, if we invested in a state wide (then moving onto countrywide) database system that we could get access to records in 12-24hours then we could find the crazies with still a short wait time. Why not just invest more money here ? I would think the Brady campaign would be begging for donations for this cause exactly. I'd send them $, I'd vote for someone willing to divert tax money here. Because I think this will help solve the problem WITHOUT interfering on other's rights. I think the anti-gun lobby needs to realize they are not getting anywhere with trying to get more laws etc. They should work with the NRA and try to speed up background checks, make them more complete/accurate etc.

Default OK, I'm in Canada, so maybe I just don't get it,

OK, I'm in Canada, so maybe I just don't get it, and maybe never will, but can someone explain to me how "the right to bear arms" as written in the US Constitution (almost two and a half centuries ago) translates into current gun "laws" and the "rights" of individual citizens to own automatic military assault weapons designed only to kill people and large numbers of people at that. Somehow, I think the intent of the inclusion of the "right to bear arms" in the original constitution and also how American (and western) society has changed in the past 200 plus years is being missed in the current debates, but then I am neither an historian, nor a sociologist.

Maren

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I can't explain it, because it is inexplicable. Some of the positions that the gun lobby has taken absolutely boggle the mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2