Thread: tucking kids into bed at night... your thoughts? (m)

northy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default tucking kids into bed at night... your thoughts? (m)

i tuck my two younger ones in at night... they are 5.5 and lights are turned out right after i read them a story...

my 9.5 year old is trickier... he loves to read and will stay up late reading FOREVER... there are worse things in life, so i don't make a huge issue of it... (and generally we don't see much in the way of effects the next day)... thing is, he wants to be tucked in on HIS schedule...

my feeling is that once i've offered to tuck him in and said goodnight, it's MY time, and i am not going to stop doing whatever it is i am doing (working, surfing the net, watching tv) to tuck him at his convenience... (the other night he woke me up to tuck him in - not to say goodnight to me, but for me to come to his room to tuck him in!)...

i'm not saying i don't give him a hug and kiss goodnight - i do... just that it happens before the lights go out because he doesn't want to turn the lights out right then...

but he still wants me to come tuck him in when he's ready to go to sleep, and this is making me crazy... but then i think that maybe i'm being overly controlling and harsh...

your thoughts?
    n

kstrib is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I tuck in when it is "bedtime." My 8yo does sometimes read or listen to a book on tape before falling asleep (this would occur AFTER the official bedtime). Frequently he gets up to freshen his bedside water cup too. These do not change the fact that I already tucked him in though. I wouldn't like stopping what I'm doing 1.5 later either. Waking me up would totally agrivate me too!

Kat

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

could you allow him to come back down to you for a hug and a kiss and he tuck himself back in? This is what my kids do.
    karen

seals is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That is what I do with my 10 yr old DS

He would love to have me tuck him in on his schedule too (which would be about an hour after I go to bed at 10 if he had his way). He and my 8 yr old twins go to bed around 8:30. I tuck them and turn out their light. I hug and kiss him and he is allowed to read until 9ish but he is on his own. He gets up to use the bathroom when he's done reading, turns out his light and goes to sleep. It took a while to get him this way, however, but I persisted that if he kept coming downstairs to find me he had to stop reading when I said goodnight at 8:30ish the next night.

I know it won't even be much longer that he wants me to tuck him in so I feel a little bad, but we've developed a good routine at the tuck in time and then he's on his own to read.

Sue

sandsam is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I do this

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc View Post
    could you allow him to come back down to you for a hug and a kiss and he tuck himself back in? This is what my kids do.
    karen
    The above is what I do with my 11 yr old. I tuck her in once - more often than not, she gets up and comes to find me when she is done reading. Then she puts herself to bed.

My 4 yr olds get tucked in - I do one 're-tuck' for them but they almost never get up once in bed.

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I tuck my kids in at bedtime or a few minutes early- then they have the choice of going to sleep or reading til they are ready to sleep. Very rarely, they will come back and ask me to retuck them, which I do happily, but I wouldnt do it every night. There are also nights when they fall asleep before we get there.

Honestly I dont mind going back once in a while- I keep thinking one day, they'll say "night mom" and run off to bed