Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Release of the Bush-era interrogation memos

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Moved this up where it should go.
    Last edited by nmcd; 04-21-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Responded to the wrong thread

Hey now - respond to someone who actually put these statements out there.

wow.

you're absolutely right.

Sorry it wasn't intentional - I didn't mean to respond specifically to your post or to single you out - I was viewing the whole thread and think I just pressed "Reply" in the wrong spot.

It wouldn't be the first time... *sigh*

none of that matters when the philosophy is any means justifies the ends.

You guys floor me. You think that just because the 9/11 terrorists committed an evil act that it's somehow "okay" to violate every principle on which this country was founded? Just because they were wrong does not make everything the United States did right. Put it another way it's bad enough that a small, marginal group of nihilists committed an act like 9/11 but what does it mean when the most powerful country on earth throws wields its power this way? It's just a grotesque perversion of everything America represented in the world. It's like defecating on the dream of a just society.

I think Obama had to say something about this regardless of whether or not he was responsible for its timing. How could he not? This country's credibility is at stake. Otherwise we might as well be Iran or Saudi Arabia. And it's not just the world that's watching. It's the men and women of the military, the Intelligence Services and the State Department who dedicated their lives to serving this country who watched every ideal twisted into it's antithesis. My father worked for the intelligence services for over 30 years. He and his colleagues were shocked and ashamed of what went on. This is a man who did two tours of Vietnam and interrogated prisoners. He told me it would have never occurred to them to treat prisoners the way they were treated in Iraq and Guantanamo, He found it impossible to comprehend and it made him ashamed.

I sometimes wonder where people who say they don't care how prisoners are treated or how we get information get their ideas from? It's like they've watched too many episodes of 24.

So to answer the question someone asked further down in the thread - I'm not thrilled with the idea of terrorists running around the United States but I'd rather see a thousand genuine terrorists set free than see a single innocent person tortured and imprisoned by this country. The United States should be better than that.

Default Confirmed

May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo was confirmed by CIA from what I gather.

Default Definition

Is waterboarding generally considered "pouring water over face of detainee, who is lying at an angle on his back, head lowered"?

Default ok

no problem

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast