Thread: "There's no place for religion in politics in the Miss California organization"??

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default "There's no place for religion in politics in the Miss California organization"??

Have you guys heard about this brouhaha? During the interview portion of the Miss USA competition they asked Miss California her views on gay marriage. She said in her religion, marriage is between a man and a woman. This completely pisses off the host - flamingly gay Perez Hilton. Now she's saying her honest answer cost her the crown.

I am not sure how I feel about any of that. Part of me says she should be able to express her honest opinion. The other part of me says she should expect some people to react negatively when she expresses support for discrimination.

But I TOTALLY do not get the statement from the Miss California organization about no room for religion in politics. Huh? I am sure they don't frown on expressions of faith from their contestants with regard to other subjects. And since when can you separate religious views from political views? Mostly I think they shouldn't have asked the question if the organization considers there to be only one right answer. But I suspect they were hoping for controversy and they sure as heck got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    Have you guys heard about this brouhaha? During the interview portion of the Miss USA competition they asked Miss California her views on gay marriage. She said in her religion, marriage is between a man and a woman. This completely pisses off the host - flamingly gay Perez Hilton. Now she's saying her honest answer cost her the crown.

I am not sure how I feel about any of that. Part of me says she should be able to express her honest opinion. The other part of me says she should expect some people to react negatively when she expresses support for discrimination.

But I TOTALLY do not get the statement from the Miss California organization about no room for religion in politics. Huh? I am sure they don't frown on expressions of faith from their contestants with regard to other subjects. And since when can you separate religious views from political views? Mostly I think they shouldn't have asked the question if the organization considers there to be only one right answer. But I suspect they were hoping for controversy and they sure as heck got it.
    I don't think there should be any room for religion OR politics in the MAP.

Can you even imagine the brouhaha if a contestant replied she was FOR gay marriage and one of the judges admitted to nixing her for that? Or lets say one was asked if they were pro-choice and they were voted off for saying no?

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think your last sentence nails it. They got a lot of free publicity out of this, at one young woman's expense.

jordansmom is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post

I guess Perez Hilton is going around now publicly calling her a b**** and the c-word. Totally inappropriate and I think it should cost him any future chance at being a host of anything.

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I thought that was a more appropriate question than asking the other contestant about the "bailout."

Jeannie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Update:

I don't know why I find this so interesting. But I do.

So now they've discovered Miss CA had a boob job before the Miss CA contest (no surprise there) and that the Miss CA organization paid for the surgery (now THAT is surprising) and that there are photos of Miss CA posing partially nude (she claims she was modeling lingerie). The Miss CA organization can't wait to dump her so they are now claiming she violated her contract.

It's the age of the internet folks. Everything you ever do is going to get dug up and come back to haunt you. It sucks that she's being villified but she's kind of asking for it too. She's clearly exploiting the situation. What started out as an honest answer to a question on national TV has now turned into her life's driving passion. She's running to every media outlet that will let her talk sanctiimoniously claiming that she has dedicated herself to "saving marriage." Opportunist much?

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default She is the new Joe the Plumber ...

Another embarassing hero for the right-wing.

June2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Don't worry, the left wing has plenty of embarrassing heroes.

Default Embarrassing for sure

Quote Originally Posted by jvirginia View Post
    Another embarassing hero for the right-wing.
    And here is Miss California's most vocal critic: