Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Free Range Kids?

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Yep, that's what moms do

I live in this kind of neighborhood. We all help eachother out and watch for eachother's kids. One of the reasons I wouldn't move, actually. I never once perceived it as picking up slack for another mom. We all do this for eachother. The kids play at different houses and the mom who is there steps in if needed. I think this is pretty typical, actually.

I think your examples are rather extreme and pretty rare (at least where I live). Kids aren't throwing rocks at cars, etc. In my neighborhood, when I have a group of kids on my lawn playing (quite often, actually) I'm ordering pizza, throwing hot dogs on the grill, bringing out ice pops. I don't see it as a job to watch these kids. I'm glad my kids have so many friends and that the neighbors love coming here to play. I watch out for their kids when they are here, as do they when my kids run down there. There's always a group of kids hanging out together going to play randomly on about 4 different lawns, all of which I can see. That's how our neighborhood is, and most of the moms I know, we all watch out for everyone's children.

Wow. I would be the first to say she's a moron and deserves what she gets if her kid gets mutilated.

a 10 yr old on the subway, hoping people in "that" city would save him? Aren't NY'ers the ones who let women get beaten and killed right in front of them and they keep walking? Sure hope her kid doesn't end up the next victim of some sicko.....

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What kind of sick, depraved universe are you inhabiting??? I mean, I can forgive people for not knowing anything about New York City, the safety of the subway system or the kindness, intelligence and feistiness of the average New Yorker but this is just worse than making assumptions without any knowledge. It's like a sort of perverse pathology in which all strangers are evil or stupid or both. It's the view of human nature from the inside of a maximum security prison.

And the ridiculous thing is that the fear of letting a nine-year-old ride the subway is completely unsupported by any evidence what-so-ever. The world just isn't that dangerous. Even if you tried really hard to be in harms way you'd still have to be incredibly unlucky for anything to happen. This delusion of risk bears no relationship to reality. None.

Yes, I can understand hesitation but not so much venom or condemnation. No one deserves for their child to be "multilated" no matter what the circumstances. It's just beyond sickening but mostly it's pitiful and terribly, profoundly sad.

I understand and agree with the spirit of your post. But I would also say that never in a million years would I put a nine-year-old on the subway alone. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    I understand and agree with the spirit of your post. But I would also say that never in a million years would I put a nine-year-old on the subway alone. Ever.
    that reminds me of the kindertransport that started late in 1938 and went on until the beginning of WWII. Ten thousand children were sent from Poland, Nazi Germany, Austria, Czechoslovakia without their parents to the UK and hopefully to safety.

I thought about the mothers and fathers putting their children on those trains when I read your post.

Having worked in Sydney for many years and taken public transport including trains, I often saw young children (under 10s) on the trains going to school without their parents. Now I watch children walking to school, in groups but without adults in the UK. I rode on a public transport bus when I was in 2nd grade in Atlanta. Maybe it's just what you're used to using for transport.

What is more upsetting to me is saying that a mother deserves having her child 'mutilated' because of her choices of transport.

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    Augie, if you ever come to NYC, I will personally take you on the Subway so you can see how safe it is. And whether you'd let your nine year old ride the subway or not at least it would be based on something real. Truly New Yorkers are not monsters and actually often step in if they think something isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by nmcd View Post
    Augie, if you ever come to NYC, I will personally take you on the Subway so you can see how safe it is. And whether you'd let your nine year old ride the subway or not at least it would be based on something real. Truly New Yorkers are not monsters and actually often step in if they think something isn't right.
    I don't think NYers are monsters, but I also don't see the point in purposely placing a prepubescent child in such a grown-up situation. Since my point of reference is Chicago public transport, that probably doesn't help. Maybe I'll take you up on the offer someday

see, to me, a bar is an adult situation - riding on a subaway or bus? No way!

Thank a lot....... 20 char........... Isu500!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8