Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Senator Arlen Spector switching parties

jordansmom is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Senator Arlen Spector switching parties

This will give democrats a filibuster proof majority, if Franken is seated and if 60 democrats can ever agree on anything .

Default Good riddance

Honestly - I'm glad to see him go. He votes with the Dems most of the time anyway. It's a cowardly move really - the writing was on the wall that he was toast in the Republican primary versus Toomey. Honestly, if Bush et al hadn't intervened in '04 (?) he wouldn't be a senator today.

Goooo Toomey! Not having to have a protracted Repub primary gives Toomey more energy/$$$ to beat him soundly in the general.

I do thank Specter for Thomas, Roberts and Alito -- beyond that? Bu-bye.

SharonB is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    Honestly - I'm glad to see him go. He votes with the Dems most of the time anyway. It's a cowardly move really - the writing was on the wall that he was toast in the Republican primary versus Toomey. Honestly, if Bush et al hadn't intervened in '04 (?) he wouldn't be a senator today.

Goooo Toomey! Not having to have a protracted Repub primary gives Toomey more energy/$$$ to beat him soundly in the general.

I do thank Specter for Thomas, Roberts and Alito -- beyond that? Bu-bye.
    According to the Washington Post, he has voted with the Republicans 65.3% of the time during the current Congress. Hardly voting with the Democrats most of the time.

We shall see what happens. It appears unlikely he will have an opponent in the Democratic primary, so he will also have lost of cash and time to campaign for the general. Pennsylvania has become a pretty solidly blue state, so he may have a leg up here.

And, I agree that just because the Democrats have 60 votes in the Senate doesn't mean they will all vote the same way!

I stand corrected. However, he is among the top vote-crossers in the Senate. And of course his performance on the stimulus bill was his major contribution to the current Congress.

Default A real "party pooper"

I LOL when I read that title just now on Foxnews - LOL! You guys can definitely have him. In this March 17th interview, a few short weeks ago, he adamantly denied he was planning to switch parties. Obama must have had to sweeten the pie just a bit more.

-----
    Sen. Arlen Specter: "[Democrats] are trying very hard for the 60th vote. Got to give them credit for trying. But the answer is no.

I'm not going to discuss private talks I had with other people who may or may not be considered influential. But since those three people are in the public domain, I think it is appropriative to respond to those questions.

I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system, with Republicans becoming just a regional party with so little representation of the northeast or in the middle atlantic. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance. That's a very important principle in the operation of our government. In the constitution on Separation of powers."

Pleaky is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I have to admit I'm surprised

Maybe he's trying to make amends for giving us Clarence Thomas.

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

If you guys keep dismissing all moderate republicans as RINOs you will have very little party remaining.

I love the fact that Toomey thinks there is too much regulation in the banking and financial sectors - when we are dealing with the worldwide catastrophic consequences of the regulators of those sectors being either asleep at the switch or being in bed with the entities they were supposed to regulate.

Anyway, here's an interesting analysis of the implications for PA ...

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/god-and-...is-a-long-shot

But it may be that Specter's switch today will do the party more harm than good. A darling among conservative Pennsylvanians, Pat Toomey will be hard-pressed to carry a state that gave Obama an 11-point advantage last year.

When conservatives have run favored candidates in purple states like Pennsylvania in recent years, Democrats have won handily. Kenneth Blackwell, who helped lead the Ohio effort to ban gay marriage, persevered in the 2006 Ohio Republican gubernatorial primary, thrilling conservative Christians. But Blackwell lost by a humiliating 60-to-37 percent margin in the general election.

If Pat Toomey meets a similar fate in Pennsylvania next year, will Christian conservatives reassess their strategy and sign on to Michael Steele's vision for a big-tent GOP? I doubt it. But it may mean a long time in the political wilderness.

Default A question . . .

Just curious - how do you feel about moderate Dems?

jordansmom is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    I LOL when I read that title just now on Foxnews - LOL! You guys can definitely have him. .
    What do you think of republican Senator Olympia Snow's comments on the topic?

But Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine, who also supported the Obama administration’s economic stimulus legislation, said Mr. Specter’s decision reflected the increasingly inhospitable climate in the Republican party for moderates.

“On the national level of the Republican Party, we haven’t certainly heard warm, encouraging words about how they view moderates, either you are with us or against us,” Ms. Snowe said. She said national Republican leaders were not grasping that “political diversity makes a party stronger and ultimately we are heading to having the smallest political tent in history for any political party the way things are unfolding.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ef=global-home

I think it sounds like she's ready to jump too.

I love all this advice from you lefty-libs. How would you react if you were being lectured to give ground on abortion (c'mon - be moderate - let's just limit it to the first 20 weeks), gay rights, the war (just a couple more years and we'll have it won) and all your other pet causes?

Like taking advice from foxes on how to guard the henhouse.

Yes, Repubs are in a political wilderness. The way out is not to become Dem-lite.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast