Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Senator Arlen Spector switching parties

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Believe it or not, I think it is important to have debate, deliberation, and pushback in politics. I think it would be good to have more moderate republicans willing to work with Obama but taking firm positions on the deficit and fiscal responsibility in general. Similarly, I think it is good to have more liberal people reminding him about keeping his promises on education and other social issues. A supermajority of democrats who can steamroll through without listening to dissenting voices may get policies passed quickly, but they may not be the best policies. However, the republicans (except a handfull) seem to have decided that their best position is simply opposition, so why even TRY to deal with them? Again, Snowe and a few others are an exception, and instead of trying to kick them out, republicans should be embracing them.

Pleaky is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    Ya know (partial tongue in cheek here), getting advice from Democrats on how to improve the Republican party vaguely reminds me of when my MIL offers to help me clean my house -- it makes me feel uneasy and suspicious.

You guys have a supermajority -- why do you care?
    because many of these newly minted Democrats are former Republicans, it might behoove the Rep party to listen to some advice from the Dems. Surely a party that wants to preserve it's members should care about such mass defection? Or they can just keep throwing out silly phrases like lefty liberal and stew about Obama's massive popularity. The fact of the matter is that the majority of Americans have clearly rejected the narrow ideology of the past administration. Whether Reps want to hear that or not is up to them, I guess.

Pleaky

Quote Originally Posted by jvirginia View Post
    . . . However, the republicans (except a handfull) seem to have decided that their best position is simply opposition, so why even TRY to deal with them? Again, Snowe and a few others are an exception, and instead of trying to kick them out, republicans should be embracing them.
    Once again, this is a talking point straight from DNC/Obama central and is a grossly over-simplified take on the current situation. I would be interested in seeing specific examples of the "party of no" in action.

You might be find this little article on PA politics interesting --

Shifting Sands of PA Politics Endangered Specter
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/hor...olitics_1.html

The author basically argues that Specter hasn't kept in touch with the changing demographics of conservative western PA - his weakest area - meanwhile eastern PA has become increasingly Democratic.

I don't think Toomey will be easily beaten. And I think there was a lot more going on in '04 than meets the eye. I remember being shocked when Bush came out strong for Specter - I think it had a lot to do with the Judiciary Committee.

Default Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post
    I used to keep a 'Dictionary of Word Origins' next to my bed for nights when I was having trouble sleeping.
    Want a real thrill? Try "Taber's Medical Dictionary" - ooooo, be still my beating heart!

Although "tow the line" is kinda starting to grow on me - it reminds me of water skiing which sounds so fun after a long dreary winter!

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    . . . A poll that just came out indicated that only 21% of Americans identify themselves as Republican. Women, minorities, and younger voters continue to make up a larger percentage of the population, and unless the Republican party has something to offer them, they will continue to lose voters. Not a single member of the House is from New England, and only 3 Senators are.

. . .
    One other thing I wanted to mention regarding the 21% Republican self-identification that you mentioned above . . . I don't think this can be completely attributed to the factors cited (women, minorities, etc registering as Dems). I think the Republican Party is hemorrhaging many, many true conservatives. I was so disgusted after the 2008 election that I seriously considered changing to an Independent. People like me aren't leaving and becoming card-carrying Democrats.

Some interesting stats I read today:

Republican party ID in 1977 was 22%, while Democrat party ID was 47%. Three years later was 1980 . . . Political tides can turn very quickly. Perhaps a third party will rise up and the Republican Party will go the way of the Whigs - we shall see.

Also, in 2004 with only 30% calling themselves Republicans, the GOP won the Presidency with 52% of the vote, a majority in the House of Representatives, a majority of State Governors and a 55-45 majority in the US Senate.

Conservatism is alive and kickin'. Obama won due to the financial crisis and the anti-Bush tidal wave. Rest on the laurels for now, but it's a little early for a GOP post-mortem.

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I actually agree with you. I wrote a lot about how messed up the Democratic party was when they lost to Bush 4 years ago. At that point, the republicans looked brilliant. There is no way Bush should have won that election, except that the democrats had no vision, no basic platform, and Kerry really was what they had pretended poor ole' Dukakis was - an effete, entitled, rich snooty New Englander totally out of touch with real America. Bush was just a mirage at that point, but it didn't matter because the republicans had a clear philosophy and the dems had ditz. So you are right, fortunes can turn very fast. If Obama's policies lead to a real mess or if they don't avert a real mess and if a coherent conservative who can be somewhat "big tent" comes along they can be a player again.

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by freddy View Post
    I used to keep a 'Dictionary of Word Origins' next to my bed for nights when I was having trouble sleeping.
    I have the OED digital edition. It was a big-deal birthday present about five years ago. I LOVE it. This week I discovered the word "Clatterfart", a chatterer, babbler, blabber. How cool is that?

nmcd is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    Want a real thrill? Try "Taber's Medical Dictionary" - ooooo, be still my beating heart!

Although "tow the line" is kinda starting to grow on me - it reminds me of water skiing which sounds so fun after a long dreary winter!
    uTOWpia?

Default TOWtally!

Quote Originally Posted by nmcd View Post
    uTOWpia?
    TOWtally!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5