Thread: Melatonin

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Melatonin

The doctor gave us the go ahead to add Melatonin to the mix. He said to start with 1.5 mg of it. So I got the 3 mg tablets at GNC today. Do they swallow them or chew them? Also how quickly do you see the effects?

Karen

Default I didn't get a chance to reply earlier...

but Carter had been on 1 mg nightly prior to Adderall XR. When we started the Adderall 2 weeks ago we noticed that he again was having difficulty getting to sleep, so we increased it to 2 mg. His ped said we could increase it further if required. So far 2 is "ok" - not outstanding, but most nights it helps.

It is a chewable one that we give him from GNC...or sublingual, but Carter chews it and it's fine too.

Linda

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We use it nightly

I was going to ask you today what your concerns were about the melatonin. I find that it helps the kids go to sleep so much better and it helps with their behavior during the day too (from the night's dose). Maybe from getting a better sleep?

We are using 2.5 mg a night. I get the peppermint sublingual that they chew and it tastes great.

I hope you find that it works. It saved my life when we started it.

Susan

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Not mine, dh's concerns. He doesn't articulate them. Would it be better if I got the 1 mg than the 3 mg? Dr. said to try 1.5 mg, he specifically said 1/2 of a 3 mg.

karen

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlc View Post
    Not mine, dh's concerns. He doesn't articulate them. Would it be better if I got the 1 mg than the 3 mg? Dr. said to try 1.5 mg, he specifically said 1/2 of a 3 mg.

karen
    If you can cut the 3 mg I think that is fine. It will be cheaper too since the bottle will last longer. When we started out, I cut the 2.5 mg pill in 4 pieces and just gave 1/4 each a night. As they have gotten older I have upped the dose. If 1/2 of 3 mg works, I think that is great and it gives you some to play with too if you need to increase. I look forward to hearing how it goes and I'm glad the doc supported it so dh hopefully feels better about it.

Susan

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Ella takes the trader joe's brand chewable melatonin. they are a small dose.... 500 MCG i think.....half a mg I think. She actually only takes half of one of those. I think we need to increase it though, because she wakes up every night at 3 am and gets into our bed. At least she goes back to sleep these days though!
    We give the melatonin about 1/2 hour before bed. It works REALLY well and it is a lifesaver - A godsend! Otherwise Ella would NEVER sleep.
    At times we have tried it in the afternoon trying to get her to nap. It will work for her then too, but it will NOT work later that night as well at all. The doc told us that if a person needs melatonin, it will work for them. If they produce enough already, it will not work or affect them. I am not sure if that is true or not.
    It is an amazing thing. All of Ella's doctors know she takes it and they all agree that it is fine.
    Angi

PPeanut is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We used to use the 1 mg because it was sublingual and tastes better when they chew it. I haven't been able to get it in a while, so we went to 3 mg and cut them in half. If ds seems particularly wired, I will give him a whole. Some nights we have given 1/2 and then given the other 1/2 20-30 minutes later if he seems to need it.