Thread: Are there any safe meds to treat pink eye...

Default Are there any safe meds to treat pink eye...

that can be used while breastfeeding? I have Tobramycin and it is not safe. I don't want to stop bfding my 10month old but I don't want to go to the ER for a new med.

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjen View Post
    that can be used while breastfeeding? I have Tobramycin and it is not safe. I don't want to stop bfding my 10month old but I don't want to go to the ER for a new med.

Jen
    I had pink eye while BFing - I think I was either on Gentamicin or Erythromycin drops - can't remember. Here's a KellyMom link - both of those are safe as far as systemic antbx, so I would think the drops would be safe http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics

As as additional fyi - the pink eye I had was so awful (under a lot of stress at the time) I ended up seeing an opthalmologist and he recommended gently washing my eyes with baby shampoo - it made such a big difference and I believe cleared it up better than the drops. That should be BFing safe!

Hope you're better soon.

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Why don't you call the ped and ask? if it's safe to use on a child the age of yours, it will be safe while bf.

Also, you can't tell if it's bacterial or viral, so if it's viral, antibiotics won't do anything anyway. Good luck clearing it up.

Thanks for your help ladies.

My ped takes up to 2 hours to call back and I was so impatient. I had the drops already to use and was ready to get started. I am already better.

Thanks for you help
    Jen