Thread: Looking for others thoughts...

Default Looking for others thoughts...

My dd who is 10 months old has been a snacker for about 6 months. We started out great but around 4 months she would finish nursing on both sides after only 5-7 minutes. She was satisfied and held out 2.5-3hours till next nursing. Ped was unhappy with weight gain and said she was snacking. Over the last 6 months her interest in nursing has really declined and I know it does as they become mobile and "get busier" but she also doesn't want to take formula, breastmilk, water, or even juice in a cup or bottle. She will take a 4oz bottle in a day (on occasion) and she nurses very quickly 3 times a day. There is no way she is getting up to the recommended 24oz a day.

Do any of you have any thoughts? We haven't gone in for the 9month appt due to scheduling. I know the ped is going to have a bunch of comments about her and that darn growth chart (which is not meant for BFd babies) and all I can say is that she is happy all the time.

Should I be worried? Should I try offering more bottles? She does eat 3 babyfood meals a day (about 3-4 stage 2 jars in one day). Is it enough?

Jen

sfpierce is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I wouldn't offer more bottles

she is just interested in her newest thing (IMHO).... movement. And bc of that she is burning more calories than ever. She won't starve. Just try and have some quiet time at beginng and end of every day when maybe she is more willing to snuggle and nurse (to get down to that good fatty stuff!! :-) )

Good luck! (My boy went through a bit of a phase like this but he was really a pig so had a big hump to live off of. Try not to worry too much as long as she is having wet diapers).

Just another mom's opinion.

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

She sounds fine to me if she's happy and sleeping. Does your ped support breastfeeding and have knowledge of it?

I think it sounds like she's doing great - way to hang in there with the nursing! Sounds like she's a petite little gal who is on the go. "Happy all the time" says so much. Sounds like she's getting some good intake with solids - maybe she would be interested in nibbling on cheese or Yobaby yogurt or other solids that have a little bit of fat content?

Keep up the great work

jknyc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

On her solids, I'd also move on from baby food at this point and give her small bits of table food--more variety, more fat, more interesting.

Troy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

If she is developmentally on schedule it seems unjustified to be too worried. My dd weighed 15 pounds at one year -- she was premature, true, but her "way bigger at birth" sister (like 4-1/2 pounds bigger) only weighed in at 18 pounds at 12 months. Some kids are small. I think the bigger issue is developmental milestones. GL.