Thread: Any advice: mealtime with toddler twins - the tortoise and the hare

Default Any advice: mealtime with toddler twins - the tortoise and the hare

I have 2 1/2 y/o twin girls. We have been sitting at table in booster seats for meals since the 2y b-day. One has been in EI since 6m and one of her issues was with eating. She now eats practically everything in large amounts with impressive spoon/fork skills (due to not liking to touch much for a long time), but she takes a looooong time to complete a meal. Her sister is the energizer bunny and is a "shove it in as fast as possible - chewing is a waste of time" type. Literally she finishes dinner in 5 minutes and her sister takes 25 minutes. I tried to slow the fast one down, telling her she can t have her next course (like yogurt) until the other is ready. I try to get the fast one to stay and "keep us company" but once she is finished she wants down and goes off an dplays (and gets into mischief).

I dont want to rush the slower one as I am so happy how well she chews and how much she eats and isnt texture adverse any more. But I find I often do what I hate in restaraunts - start cleaning the table while she is still eating, etc. Especially at dinner because we need to move along so they can get to bed by 7:30. (we get home form our day at 6 pm)

Any ideas on how to get their paces a little more in sync? Also, I am a single parent so I dont have anyone to sit at table while I make sure my energizer bunny isnt jumping off her play table in the other room..... Or is this like many other multiples issues - it just eventually works itself out??

TIA

Di
    C and E
    12/01/06

northy is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default i'd say it eventually works itself out... at that age (m)

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    I have 2 1/2 y/o twin girls. We have been sitting at table in booster seats for meals since the 2y b-day. One has been in EI since 6m and one of her issues was with eating. She now eats practically everything in large amounts with impressive spoon/fork skills (due to not liking to touch much for a long time), but she takes a looooong time to complete a meal. Her sister is the energizer bunny and is a "shove it in as fast as possible - chewing is a waste of time" type. Literally she finishes dinner in 5 minutes and her sister takes 25 minutes. I tried to slow the fast one down, telling her she can t have her next course (like yogurt) until the other is ready. I try to get the fast one to stay and "keep us company" but once she is finished she wants down and goes off an dplays (and gets into mischief).

I dont want to rush the slower one as I am so happy how well she chews and how much she eats and isnt texture adverse any more. But I find I often do what I hate in restaraunts - start cleaning the table while she is still eating, etc. Especially at dinner because we need to move along so they can get to bed by 7:30. (we get home form our day at 6 pm)

Any ideas on how to get their paces a little more in sync? Also, I am a single parent so I dont have anyone to sit at table while I make sure my energizer bunny isnt jumping off her play table in the other room..... Or is this like many other multiples issues - it just eventually works itself out??

TIA

Di
    C and E
    12/01/06
    while i think working on routine and self-control is valuable, i don't think you can realistically expect too much... you could keep working on getting your hare to wait a bit longer between courses... maybe dole out each course in small portions? you could also see if you could find something for her to do at the table, or by your side to keep her occupied while you help the tortoise finish up...

good luck!

My one daughter (mom of triplets here) can take 45 minutes to eat a bowl of cereal - drives me batty. I'd say my kids are slow eaters too. It's shocking when they tell me they finished their cereal under 20 minutes. I've turned on the kitchen timer and yelled to finish up but they play around too much or torture each other.
    I'm probably the wrong one to ask. Maybe come up with a fun, enjoyable game of meal time with a star for finishing on time.

Good luck!