Thread: Jacob update

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Jacob update

(Sorry to everyone. I haven't posted much but I've been reading.)

Jacob has been on 15 mg of Vyvanse for about 1 1/2 months now. School is going very well. Most days he has a positive school report. He has a behavior book the documents the day as a whole and then a behavior card that gets updated 8 times a day. Its great. He is making progress in his skills too especially his writing and handwriting.

There are still a lot of challenging behaviors especially at home. Part is sibling dynamics. He has a twin brother and a sister who is 11 1/2 months younger. Some is pre-medication and post-medication periods. But the 15 mg dose seems to help with the rebounding we were dealing with.

We had to start him on 1.5 mg of Melatonin a night. We give it at dinner so he is ready to sleep around 7:30. This has been a huge positive change because he wasn't going to sleep until 9ish or later because of the Vyvanse. He really needs at least 11 hours of sleep to function.

But he gets very tired by 4 pm when he gets off the bus so we often deal with a meltdown or two. But nothing that he can't recover from which is another improvement.

So overall I would say things are pretty good, not great. I still wish I saw more benefit from the medication but if he is better at school I can't really ask for more.

I think camp is going to be a good chance for me to see how well it actually helps him. Camp has always been extremely difficult for so many reasons including young adults running the groups. If he doesn't respect you, watch out.

Camp starts on June 22nd so we will see.
    karen

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Good update. Looking forward to hearing a positive update once camp starts. Fingers crossed!

sugarsue is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hey Karen, are all the kids going to the same camp this year? How are you doing? I'm sorry I missed your post. I have not had time or energy to check in lately. How's the meds and melatonin working?

Susan

amelia1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Sounds like things are going well. Good luck with camp this year. Update when you can.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Hey Karen!

Glad to hear your update and that he is doing well.

I hope Camp works out. I know it is hard when teenagers run it because they don't know how to redirect/distract quite as well as an adult/seasoned teacher. I hope you are pleasantly suprised and it turns out well.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Yay for a good update!!!