Thread: Experience with encopresis?

Default Experience with encopresis?

One of my daughters has been suffering with encopresis for 2+ years now. It is really starting to affect her self esteem and the family dynamics. We've been to two pediatricians and one pediatric gastroenterologist who all just prescribed a laxative and sent us on our way. This has not helped. She will be starting first grade in September and I really want to solve this problem by then. So far, the kids in kindergarten have not noticed or said anything to her when she smells b/c of dirty underwear but I don't think that will continue in school. She has tons of friends so it really hasn't impacted her socially but I am worried that it will soon.

Anyway, I received two very warm recommendations for two completely different approaches and I don't know what to do. One was from a parent who had a child with encopresis. His child was treated at an out patient pediatric gastro clinic in a hospital and he said the doctors were wonderful. The other recommendation came from a psychologist who knew a child who was treated by a specific neuropsychologist (ironically, in the same hospital as the other recommendation.)

My daughter was recently examined by a gastroenterologist and the exam was normal. He did not find any buildup or blockages or whatever else he was looking for. Does that mean I should try the psychology route next as opposed to the out patient gastro clinic? I do have an appointment with our pediatrician to discuss this tomorrow but I thought maybe some of you could offer input if you had a child with encopresis.

Thanks!
    Levana

Default Yes We have been down this road...

My oldest was dx with encopresis and frankly the doctor was not very helpful. We started treament when Miralax was a Rx... but now Miralax is over the counter, so that will make life much easier!!

In all honesty, the best help I found was online! The best and most helpful info I found was from other parents!! Those warrior parents were the best resource I had and the best support!!

What worked for us was a routine every day. The first thing we did was a clean out... via I high dose of Miralax everyday for a week. Then we dropped the dose down... and it was tricky to find the right dose for keeping things moving instead of having an oooppps! Oh and I used a measuring spoon, not the cap as the Miralax bottle says... that way I could get a more exact dose.

We also made more changes to his diet by increasing the fiber and decreasing foods that can lead to constipation (like too much milk).

We also added epsom salts to his bath water and he had a good long soak about twice a week. This helped increase the magnisum (sp?) and the warm water helped him relax.

And finally we had regular "sits", this meant he had to sit on the potty everyday after dinner for 20 minutes. He would read a book or magazine. If he pooped, there was a reward (small piece of candy) if not, no big deal was made, we just tried again the next day.

Now, this is what worked for us, but it may no work for your dd. But the reason I explained all that we did was to show we had a overall plan, not just one approch with one fix. Oh and we did this routine for about 4 months.

The key is to clean out, keep things moving so the mucles can "heal" and so she can "listen" to her body and feel when she needs to go.

If you have questions, please let me know!

-Robin

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. We have another appointment on Sunday with the pediatric gastroenterologist who happens to be on the staff of the clinic in the hospital. I think therapy might be a help for us as well.

When you used a very high dose of Miralax -- did you keep him home from school for that week? I am wary about giving too much laxative b/c I don't want her to have a major accident at school (which happened a couple of weeks ago anyway.) She does come home every single day with soiled underwear but it is just a bit - not a whole BM.

This is a very hard thing to deal with. :-(

Levana

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Raising hand here...m drs not much help so far.Basically told to put almost 10 year old on a poop schedule like mentioned. But also have younger ds to deal with who has never used the potty -yet(almost 5 yr old).

On x-ray nothing too severe is ever seen for older ds-but I find the best assistance and tx using Miralax, lots of fiber foods daily. I often sometimes have to use Pedi-Lax Enima when he complains of pain. I h ave been on th elook out for new Pedi -Lax Fiber Gummies but have not found them yet will look again tomorrow. Ds wants them!

Good luck, we have dealt with poop in the tub, poop in the underwear, pain, gas,behavior probably caused by being so consitpated.
    Oh and bed-wetting still in 10 year old.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

in the meantime until you can figure things out, can you put a panty liner in her underwear?
    hugs
    karen