Thread: Estrace during pregnancy?

Default Estrace during pregnancy?

Hi Dr. Gordon,

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and on Progesterone/Estrace meds till week 10. Last week I had some spotting and my OB doctor ordered a Progesterone test... it came back at 260! He thinks I should cut down on both the progesterone and Estrace supplementation, but the fertility doctor insists that I should be taking both for 2 more weeks, without even measuring the Estradiol levels. I'm very reluctant to continue taking Estrace, as it is a category X drug, proven to cause birth defects. Also, they've measured my levels before the IVF and I was not defficient neither on estrogen nor progesterone and I have a very healthy 6 year old son, who was conceived naturally without any drugs. Please advise at your earliest convenience, as the Estrogen risks are way too high to ignore... Thanks!

There is NO evidence that estrogen causes birth defects. Previously, a synthetic estrogen called DES was given to pregnant women to try and prevent miscarriages and that drug was a disaster and caused reproductive tract abnormailities in the girls whose mothers took that drug when pregnant. BUT the estrogen that you are taking is the same as the estrogen that is made by your ovary and placenta. In its infinite wisdom the government decided after the DES tragedy to label all sex steroid hormones (estrogen and progesterone) as contraindicated in pregnancy.

If you think about it rationally, do you really think that an MD whose sole job is to get you pregnant with a healthy baby would put you on a dangerous drug that causes birth defects. I think not. All donor egg cycles are done with women taking estrogen. No increased rate of birth defects seen. The vast majority of FETs are done on estrogen.No increased rate of birth defects.

After IVF your ovaries will not produce the normal levels of estrogen and progestrone so you need these drugs.

Good luck

DrG
    100infertilityquestions.blogspot.com

Default RE: Estrace during pregnancy?

Thank you Dr. Gordon... your responses have been very reassuring to me and I'm sure to many more reading this thread!

Thanks!

Good luck

DrG