Thread: Fear of losing teeth

Question Fear of losing teeth

My son is 6.5 and has lost one tooth so far. That was a very traumatic experience for him - he got really nervous, saw that he was bleeding and fainted. I wasn't there when it happened, so at the time, I wound up taking him to the hospital for a long night of testing and really scared the daylights out of him. It turns out that he was medically fine, but apparently faints at the sight of blood. He fainted when they did his blood sugar test in the hospital (which was normal level). Anyway, fast forward a few months and a new tooth is about to fall out. Tonight, he just about fainted again at the thought of it.

It's so close to falling out - and i really want it to happen when I am with him. he goes to camp on Monday - what is the best way to get that tooth out of him. I am prepared that he may faint again, but I am hoping to distract him immediately after with a nice cold ice pop. I just want to be present when he has a pleasant tooth falling out experience.

I can't believe the anxiety he has over this - I feel so terrible for him. It's a long road ahead if he freaks like this every time a tooth falls out!

Thank you in advance for any advice you all have.

Jennifer

It might be worth a trip to the dentist to have them pull it out. That way, he is in a safe place and you'll be there too.

If not, then get some tissue, or gauze, and start working on it. Hopefully it will all be ok and it wont come out at camp.

That must have been so scary for him the first time he lost a tooth - poor little guy!

Default There are several books about losing teeth...

maybe you could read a book about losing teeth, most even come with at little box to put the tooth in after it falls out. Even though he has lost one tooth, explain to him and prepare him for what will happen. DS just turned 6 and he lost his first tooth, but I prepared him by telling him that it would bleed when it falls out, so not to be scared. We were on vacation and he came over to me with the tooth in his hand and said " I had to twist it but it popped right out". He was fine with it, but I made sure he knew what was going to happen, being a pediatric nurse I firmly believe in preparing kids for what is coming, even if it will be painful. Fear of the unknown is the worst! Good luck with the next 19 teeth!! Patty

Thanks - It was scary and I feel so bad about it. I wish I could get to a dentist before tomorrow. As it is he is walking around with a tissue in his mouth. He just hates the feeling of it.. We are getting baby orajell right now and will try to get it out ourselves before the end of today.

Thanks - we have read some about the tooth fairy, etc. I have talked to him so much about how we already know that it will bleed for a little bit and then be fine and it doesn't hurt, etc. He is just so worried about fainting again. More than the tooth part.. I try to explain that we won't go to the hospital if that happens (because it might happen). My poor little guy.

We are going to try and get it out ourselves - using baby orajell to numb it first. He seems to like that idea. I really hope it goes okay. It is just hanging by a thread - it will come out fast I think...

Default Update:

We got the tooth out today. Not as traumatic as the other one and no fainting! Phew!! I think we are over the tooth losing thing already...

Thanks for your advice and answers!

Jennifer

Yeah!! I'm glad it worked out and he didn't faint.