Thread: Abilify Anyone??????????

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Abilify Anyone??????????

Hi,
    child psychiatrist is changing ella's meds.

she keeps raising her tolerance to risperdal and needs an increase every month or so....and she is at 1.5 mg. Doc says this is high enough.

We are switching to abilify.

DH and I are VERY NERVOUS. We have to wean her off of Risperdal for 3 days. OMG. All HE** is going to break loose at our house this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!m Today is day one of just 1mg. Tomorrow she only gets .5 mg and sunday she starts abilify.

She has been on risperdal for ? 1.5 yrs. It has helped her SOOOO much. but, lately she has been acting out and feeling angry a lot. It has not been working as well and she needs an increase or a change. So here we are.

Wish us luck. We have a family reunion in tahoe in 2 weeks.

If this goes badly, we will switch back to Risperdal in time to hopefully save the trip. omg.

Please send positive thoughts to us. We may need to call in an exorcist this weekend! (kidding of course!)

Angi

It has not been as bad as expected. She did fine thursday, friday, and saturday....today she started freaking out....she said she was happy/mad....one minute too happy the next minute really mad and hitting kicking screaming. I had to haul her in from outside kicking and screaming and yelliing SOOO Loud. I am surprised that nobody called the cops. So, after much ado, we gave her the new dose of abilify. 3 hours later she is mellow and happy with just a few normal fits over things she does not like,...like hair washing.

And, she has an appetite for the first time in ??? 1 month. She has lost 3.5 lbs in the past month.

She has eaten more this afternoon than in the past week. I am serious. And, for her this is good. I know some kids gain too much weight from abilify but she could use even 10lbs to be average, maybe even 15.

Thanks for listening to my rants.

I hope abilify continues to work. When i read about it I got freaked out...for schizophrenia, bipolar, etc....but it is used off label a lot too. Ella's doc thinks it will help her ADHD and that in turn will help her mood swings.

Hope so!

Thanks again if you made it this far!

angi

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Grant's Dr really like Abilify for the kiddos who gain too much weight on Risperdol. I hope it helps, changing meds is always nervewracking.

Default Good luck!!!

We have tried Abilify...it didn't help at all, in fact may have made him moodier. I feel for you...we weaned Alex from Risperdal once. (back on it now) He was a mess for a couple weeks. BUT, I do think you need to give it a try. You never know unless you try things, right?! Wishing you and Ella the best!

Kathie

QUOTE=angeleena;265598]Hi,
    child psychiatrist is changing ella's meds.

she keeps raising her tolerance to risperdal and needs an increase every month or so....and she is at 1.5 mg. Doc says this is high enough.

We are switching to abilify.

DH and I are VERY NERVOUS. We have to wean her off of Risperdal for 3 days. OMG. All HE** is going to break loose at our house this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!m Today is day one of just 1mg. Tomorrow she only gets .5 mg and sunday she starts abilify.

She has been on risperdal for ? 1.5 yrs. It has helped her SOOOO much. but, lately she has been acting out and feeling angry a lot. It has not been working as well and she needs an increase or a change. So here we are.

Wish us luck. We have a family reunion in tahoe in 2 weeks.

If this goes badly, we will switch back to Risperdal in time to hopefully save the trip. omg.

Please send positive thoughts to us. We may need to call in an exorcist this weekend! (kidding of course!)

Angi[/QUOTE]

Default APs

Between one kid or another I think we have tried all of the APs:

Risperdal
    Abilify
    Geodon
    Seroquel
    Zyprexa

and I think 1-2 more. It becomes a blur after a while.

We saw the absolute best symptom control for my younger son with Zyprexa but then all the problems with it came out and our pdoc removed all of his patients from it. He is 10 years old now and on 25mg Seroquel and doing well.

My 15 year old daughter is on 20mg Abilify and I don't think it helps but her pdoc wants her on it or he won't let her have Vyvanse and she needs her Vyvanse. She was on almost 200mg of Geodon and all that did was have her swing between being out cold or in full psychosis (she ended up with a 3 month phosp stay because without the Geodon she was fully psychotic 100% of the time) but she is a very difficult case.

Risperdal's side effects seemed to take over a year before they bothered my older son. He hated Seroquel XR from the 1st tablet and refused to take it again (said it made him feel outside his body). He is my success story He has been on so many meds and had such big scary dx that there had been little hope of him reaching adulthood. He is now 14 years old and is being weaned off his meds and doing very, very well

I hope the Abilify works for your daughter. Psych meds involve much trial and error but to have a functional, happy child is worth it.

Erin

Default wow, what a ride.

Poor Ella. Mean doctor changed meds and then left town. He told us last Thursday "No problem, if things do not go right, I will be available, at least by phone..." We called monday..."sorry, he is on vacation and we do not have any other child psychiatrists in this week, they are all on vacation!" They told us we could see a different doctor on Friday.....so we waited ALL WEEK to see the sub doc (meanwhile Ella was LOSING IT) and then they would not let us make an appt!! (not a life or death emergency) OMG.
    We are going on vacation and Ella needs to be STABLE before we meet up with the family.
    Finally, THIS EVENING the sub doc called us at home personally and increased her new meds.
    This has been the most frustrating and miserable week. That kid has been through SO MUCH. Very unhappy....hitting, scratching, screaming, tantrums, scaring kids at school...COMPLETE REGRESSION....refuses to swallow any food....chews it and spits it out...(ped checked throat and said it was fine)....
    Tonight she smiled and joked with me for the first time in almost a week. I refuse to get my hopes up tha tthe abilify is starting to work, but maybe????
    Anyway, thanks for listening if you made it this far.
    I would not wish a med change like this on any kid.
    Angi

Default Hope it goes well...we are

weening a child off of risperidal also. It is going OK.
    We are doing it Extremely slowly.
    Will take almost all summer until completely gone.
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by angeleena View Post
    Poor Ella. Mean doctor changed meds and then left town. He told us last Thursday "No problem, if things do not go right, I will be available, at least by phone..." We called monday..."sorry, he is on vacation and we do not have any other child psychiatrists in this week, they are all on vacation!" They told us we could see a different doctor on Friday.....so we waited ALL WEEK to see the sub doc (meanwhile Ella was LOSING IT) and then they would not let us make an appt!! (not a life or death emergency) OMG.
    We are going on vacation and Ella needs to be STABLE before we meet up with the family.
    Finally, THIS EVENING the sub doc called us at home personally and increased her new meds.
    This has been the most frustrating and miserable week. That kid has been through SO MUCH. Very unhappy....hitting, scratching, screaming, tantrums, scaring kids at school...COMPLETE REGRESSION....refuses to swallow any food....chews it and spits it out...(ped checked throat and said it was fine)....
    Tonight she smiled and joked with me for the first time in almost a week. I refuse to get my hopes up tha tthe abilify is starting to work, but maybe????
    Anyway, thanks for listening if you made it this far.
    I would not wish a med change like this on any kid.
    Angi