Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: With school coming up again, How do you make

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default With school coming up again, How do you make

sure that your child has a good fit with the teacher? What qualities do you look for? Can you request teachers at your schooL? DS is ASD, and I did not like his teacher last year, I would like to do better this year, but despite volunteering I don't really feel that I know the 1st grade teachers very well.
    Ugh!!
    Chris

Default My opinion

Develop a good relationship with your child's principal and/or guidance counselor.
    Talk with them and keep them in the loop.
    Have a short meeting with them in the spring before the following school year and respectfully tell them what qualities that your child needs in a teacher.
    In our school, we can't request, but I feel like I have a good, open, repectful relationship with them. He/She knows what is on my mind. I believe they will help to make a good match.
    Is there a way you can meet with the principal or guidance counselor to discuss your concerns?
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by chris s View Post
    sure that your child has a good fit with the teacher? What qualities do you look for? Can you request teachers at your schooL? DS is ASD, and I did not like his teacher last year, I would like to do better this year, but despite volunteering I don't really feel that I know the 1st grade teachers very well.
    Ugh!!
    Chris

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I request.

My older dd lucked out with the best teachers so Ellie gets the same ones. They already know Ellie (and me) reallly well, and know her issues. So it's easy for her. She started first grade today - walked in the class, hugged her teacher and said bye Mom and went to her desk.

I volunteer a ton, and I am pretty well known at the school, so my kids are taken care of.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I talked to the child study team

They will not classify my DS or give him any services despite the lengths I went to try to get him help.

They did however, put him with the teacher I requested. I specificially said he needs the teacher that is high energy, positive and super structured. The other teacher has a great reputation but is very laid back. I told them she wouldn't be a good match. They put him with the teacher I felt was a good match. Guess they figured they would throw me a bone.

Definintely call the school and express the fact that your DS really needs a good match for him and what qualities would be best in a teacher. It can't hurt to let them know.

My older DS I never have had to do this. He can go into any class and not skip a beat. But every year in May they'll be hearing from me for my younger DS and my request for the best matched teacher.

Default Thanks. I volunteer at the school, but generally in the

library or office work (laminating,etc.) and it is a large school so it is hard to know who teaches what. I have talked to the principle last spring. I am just anxious. DS had a bad teacher last year and I feel it is so critical to get a good teacher this year(every year--to me the teacher is the biggest element of a good school year), I am considering talking to the principle at registration tomorrow.
    Ugh!
    Chris

Default We do not get to pick

our teacher. DS goes to a small school where everyone knows everyone (which can be both good and bad). The principal is his "intervention team leader" and so far has done a good job of picking the best fit. In the previous two years (1st and 2nd) parents could submit a letter stating important points about one's child needs, strong points, etc. (not this year for some reason). I figured she knew the teachers "style" better than I did but I needed to represent DS (does best with highly structured environment etc.)

I see no reason not to speak with the principal about your concerns and wishes. Is there any way you could set up an appointment to speak to the principal outside of the registration day when you will be able to have their full attention? Naturally I wouldn't say anything specific about the teacher from last year, rather state what about the environment (too much visual stimulation, too structured/unstructured etc.) didn't work for your DS. We also arranged a visit to the room and to meet the teacher prior to school. That enabled my DS to feel more comfortable in the environment and it gave him a chance to meet his teacher one-on-one and it gave him a feeling of "knowing" them already. It is in everyone's best interest that your son is in a class with a good fit. Maybe there is a teacher has had children with ASD in their classroom before.

This year we are hoping for a specific teacher (she has a degree in special ed) and she expressed to my DS that she "hoped he was in her class" next year. That already has made him feel special.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Anne

Default our schools

We can submit a list of what qualities our child needs in a teacher. We can also "blacklist" 1-2 teachers in most circumstances (there are 5-6 teachers per grade).

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I think your best bet is to write out what works best for your son and what doesnt. Honestly, parents are not usually the best judge of what teacher has those qualities or runs thier classroom in a certain way- we just dont have the exposure to them that a principal does. And teachers can seem one way in one context but run thier classroom completely differently (ie: DD's preK teacher was amazing but then moved to 2nd and was really a TOUGH disciplinarian- something noone saw coming, lol. I still would love DD to have her this school year though!). In our school, the principal will not entertain requests for certain teachers but will consider what a parents feels works best for the child and will, under certain circumstances, allow a parent to "not request" a teacher.

DD has no dx right now but the school is aware of her quirks, challenges and needs. Because she is academically advanced and has no behavior or school related issues, she does not qualify for formal accomodations but our school has been very good in trying to help her. The principal and counselor placed DD with a different teacher then I would have chosen but they have thier reasons. We'll see how it goes-my guess is that they'll be right now that I've thought about it.

I would get any requests in asap- I know teacher assignments were done in April/May here.

Similar to many others -- we can request but that is just one factor that the principal and teachers take into account. No guarantees. I requested for kindergarten and we got the teacher that "everyone wants" and who was a terrible fit for Evan. (Not that the school knew Evan as he was new, anyway, so maybe they would have made the same mistake. But it was a good lesson in *not* going by what other parents say about who's the "best" teacher.) We requested for 1st grade and that teacher moved to 2d, and they made a good match for 1st. We had had a meeting with the K classroom teacher to talk about what we wanted Evan to work on, so they had that input even though the particular teacher was no longer available to us. That is one big advantage, in my view, of having an IEP/504; if they are listening as they should be, the school knows far more about the parents' views and the kid's strengths and weaknesses than they otherwise might.

Now, going into 2d, I requested the teacher whom we had requested for 1st, and we got her. I am already second-guessing myself, wondering if we should have left it entirely to the school. I very much trust our principal even though she is more "tough love" than I am; she may very well be right and I am wrong about what Evan needs! There are 3 teachers in 2d grade and there is one that I *knew* would be a terrible fit for Evan, but I felt sheepish about blacklisting, so I handled it by making an affirmative request instead.

This year, I told the principal in advance that we are willing to try going without PT and OT (that is a whole separate post I should write!) and in "exchange" (without actually saying that) I stated my preference for that particular teacher.

Lisa

Default I got the kids enrolled today and didn't say anything.

I did make personality requests last spring, so I just let it be. I may be a control freak.
    Thanks.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast