Thread: Twins Speech Development?

Question Twins Speech Development?

My b/g twins are 22 months, and I am concerned about their speech development. My daughter will repeat alot of words, but my son hardly talks at all. He does babble when playing, but will rarely repeat any words when we try to get him to talk. We will be seeing their physician in a couple months for their 2 year appointment, but am wondering if anyone else has seen this with their twins. I am trying to be cautiously concerned for the next 2 months and not get to concerned yet.

Default I have b/g twins that are now 3 1/2 and my ds has speech delays...

I noticed soon before he turned two that he was way below where his older brother was. I called Infants and Toddlers and had him evaluated. We had services throughout the two's and his twin sister was involved. At three he was still not talking and at that point been dx with speech delay and sensory disorder. I was told that this is not uncommon with boys. I had a therapist follow him for a day and one of her evaluations was that he had an older brother and bossy twin sister that always spoke for him so he really had no need to concentrate on speaking. The recommendation was to send him to a special needs preschool and he has been in since March of this year. He speaks very little and is very hard to understand. Every other way he is right on target. I must say separating them has definitely boosted is self esteem and I am confident that he will eventually speak. In the meantime I want him to have the opportunity to do the same experiences as his sister. My babysitter's grandson has the same problem and is entering Kindergarten next year. He still has some language delays and he was in the same program as my ds. I would call Infants and Toddlers for an evaluation. It can't hurt. It is a federal program. Google Infants and Toddlers and the county and state you live in.

Look up Early Intervention and depending on where you live, they are a wonderful program. My kids didn't start it till they were over 2, close to 3 but the few months that we had services were really great. My son had/has speech delays - very vocal (always) but not clear pronunciation, even today has some reading delays compared to his sisters but he's improving with lots of practice. Good luck.

Default agree with EI

I had very slow talkers and I worried a lot about it -- one boy had no words until about 2. They were also slow in everything else despite not really being preemie (no NICU stay).

We were really stressed by everything we were told by experts about their delays. The only useful therapy we had (and at some point, we had cognitive therapy, ST, OT, PT, and stuff for sensory integration) was speech. The ST taught us that we needed to force our kids to talk. I had triplets and screaming toddler triplets is not a fun experience. So if my kids might need a bottle in 5 minutes, I had bottles ready. We fed just prior to screaming hunger. The speech therapist taught me to force my kids to ask for what they wanted. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

The other useful piece of advice was to have hearing tested. My kids all had tubes at 24 months and speech took off afterwards, as did all other areas too. By three, we were done with EI and the kids were actually way ahead.

I think there isn't much reason to talk if all your buddies don't talk. Mine were pretty content to babble and play with each other. Certainly didn't result in any lasting vocabulary issues . . . . . really!

sandsam is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We had speech delays

When my twin girls were 15 months, their pediatrician was concerned about their speech. She was even more concerned at 18 months so I had the school district evaluate them. At 21 months - they had the speech of 13 month olds! They hardly talked. There was no 'twin talk' between them. [They were full-term.]

The girls received weekly speech help from age 2 until 3-1/2 when they tested out of the program at 95+%. At age 5, you would never know they once had any problems.

I paid nothing for this help. Well, I pay taxes.

I would highly recommend you contact your school district and get an evaluation. Sooner is much better than later.

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by smitty1 View Post
    I had very slow talkers and I worried a lot about it -- one boy had no words until about 2. They were also slow in everything else despite not really being preemie (no NICU stay).

We were really stressed by everything we were told by experts about their delays. The only useful therapy we had (and at some point, we had cognitive therapy, ST, OT, PT, and stuff for sensory integration) was speech. The ST taught us that we needed to force our kids to talk. I had triplets and screaming toddler triplets is not a fun experience. So if my kids might need a bottle in 5 minutes, I had bottles ready. We fed just prior to screaming hunger. The speech therapist taught me to force my kids to ask for what they wanted. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective.

The other useful piece of advice was to have hearing tested. My kids all had tubes at 24 months and speech took off afterwards, as did all other areas too. By three, we were done with EI and the kids were actually way ahead.

I think there isn't much reason to talk if all your buddies don't talk. Mine were pretty content to babble and play with each other. Certainly didn't result in any lasting vocabulary issues . . . . . really!
    ITA on both aspects. My girls were sent for EI and the first thing we had to do was go to an audiologist. Imagine my surprise when both girls had hearing loss.

After the tubes were placed we started EI. They ended a couple of months ago and are doing pretty well. They are just short of 3 and their speech has just taken off. Our ST was incredible and finally indicated that our parenting was not helping the situation. I would have sippies, snacks, ets ready for the first glance. If they even looked in the direction of a toy I was handing it to them saying "do you want your train". They didn't even have to make a peep. As the pp said, it wasn't pretty at our house. Lots of crying (on everyone's part). But, they caught on pretty quick that they needed to communicate. I'm not saying that this is happening at your house, but just an idea.

Best of luck.
    Hollie
    Harper and Delaney 11/7/06