Thread: open house was last night...and guess how many are in ds' class

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default open house was last night...and guess how many are in ds' class

a whopping 8 kids...9 total with him. sending him to this private school has been the best thing education wise we have done for him. he already knows 6 of the kids from his 1st and 2nd grade years there. last year i thought 12 kids was a small class...

i also love that they allow him to work at his own pace even if it means he ends up way ahead of his class. he'll be starting with 4th grade math and reading this year as he completed all of 2nd and 3rd grade last year. i love not being stressed with ieps too....and best of all he loves school and the drama and band stuff....who knew eh??

Default question

So...this is something that you totally did on your own...there are no IEP's or public school involvement? Is he completely done with therapies or do you do that privately?
    Joy

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2 View Post
    a whopping 8 kids...9 total with him. sending him to this private school has been the best thing education wise we have done for him. he already knows 6 of the kids from his 1st and 2nd grade years there. last year i thought 12 kids was a small class...

i also love that they allow him to work at his own pace even if it means he ends up way ahead of his class. he'll be starting with 4th grade math and reading this year as he completed all of 2nd and 3rd grade last year. i love not being stressed with ieps too....and best of all he loves school and the drama and band stuff....who knew eh??

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

he has an iep at the public school which we had to waiver our rights too. our state has a special needs school voucher now and we use our state iep funding to help off set the tuition cost of the private school. lots of the sensory issues he had at public dont exist at the private school b/c of how the school is built. ie carpeted hallways, natural lighting vs flourescent, 12 kids max per class, set in a nature preserve type setting, etc.

as for therapies at school, he loves the drama club and band (which are run much like his speech and music tx was). the teachers are great when it comes to working with quirky kids as is the art teacher who does sensory based art programs. the school we chose is not a special needs school but has a whole child and sensory based approach to learning....how bout that eh?

we also continue to do weekly private speech in forms of social skills group sessions, hippo pt, aqua ot and land based sensory ot.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

What great news. So glad there is a great fit

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default That is wonderful

I bet he is going to have a great year, and hopefully less stress for you, too.

Default Sounds like a great place to go to school

for anyone. I am glad you found such a wonderful fit for him. Wouldn't it be great if every city had such a place? Anne