Thread: ISP vs. 504 - what's the difference?

Default ISP vs. 504 - what's the difference?

Which one should we prefer? Our son needs modifications such as shortening quantity of work since it can overwhem him & stress him out, reminders on where his attention is, for example. He has a diagnosis of NVLD but he isn't really "classic" in presentation, for instance. Some of his symptoms appear ADHD at times.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I do not know. I am confused about the difference too. Our dd is jusst going into K so we are just learning this end of things having been in the early ed program which is different.

I meant "iep" - must have mus-typed.

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

IEP's provide for services (OT, ST, resource, transportation, placement etc), 504's for modifications (testing, seating, etc) in the classrooom.

Most with ADHD and similar have 504's since they don't require therapies or specialized placement.

That's my take on it in a nutshell.

Default Jeninnc is right

504 is for in classroom accomodations examples are preferred seating, seat cushions, extended time on tests etc. The items you listed in your post would fall under a 504. If your son needs any kind of "services" such as help with handwriting from an OT, pragmatic speech support and or typical speech support from a ST, those would fall under an IEP. To make it more complicated there are "interventions" which can provide "temporary" services i.e. OT support, but are not typically provided on an ongoing basis.

To qualify for an IEP the child has to demonstrate that his or her disability is "impacting their education" If you google IEP -vs- 504 you will find more detailed explainations. You may also want to visit your states Dept. of Education website for more information regarding IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act) as it will step you through the process.

My son (ADHD, anxiety and currently being evaluated for PDD-NOS) has had interventions for the past two years (1st and 2nd grade) with an OT for handwriting support (each intervention lasted appx. 2 months and then services were ended). We are in the middle of a MFE (multi-factored evaluation) to see if he qualifies for an IEP. The school was prepared to provide a 504 but then he would not have been able to receive any speech services for pragmatic language = social skills training or ongoing OT support for handwriting. The band-aid approach of the interventions was not working for us.

Good that you are thinking ahead, I wish I had started sooner.

Anne

mickey2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

always opt for an iep.,...you can request accomodations in the notes of an iep. 504's do not hold up in court....or due process. they were mean for accessilbility issues (ie ramps, elevators in bldgs, etc that restrict access) they were never meant to serve as a sub for ieps. but sadly that is how most districts use them b/c the backlash for not following an iep is severe if purseued by families whereas the 504 not followed jsut gets a small slap on the wrist.

it is much harder to go form a 504 to an iep as well but super easy to go from iep to 504. this is what ive been told by several spec ed attorneys and child advocates btw.

mckenziecat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I agree - this is what I was told also

Quote Originally Posted by mickey2 View Post
    always opt for an iep.,...you can request accomodations in the notes of an iep. 504's do not hold up in court....or due process. they were mean for accessilbility issues (ie ramps, elevators in bldgs, etc that restrict access) they were never meant to serve as a sub for ieps. but sadly that is how most districts use them b/c the backlash for not following an iep is severe if purseued by families whereas the 504 not followed jsut gets a small slap on the wrist.

it is much harder to go form a 504 to an iep as well but super easy to go from iep to 504. this is what ive been told by several spec ed attorneys and child advocates btw.
    here in georgia we have a special needs scholarship where you must have had an iep in public school for a year. A 504 does NOT qualify you for those funds. Try for the iep.
    Good luck,
    beth

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We have an IEP. They told me there was no question as to which he should have. The school has been great. Jacob has ADHD