Thread: same class or seperate???

Default same class or seperate???

We leave for Japan in one week and once we arrive I will enroll the boys in school and I am on the fence about putting them in the same classroom or seperating them. So chime in and give me some things to consider before DH & I make a final decision! Thanks in advance!!!
    Hugs,
    Jami

PROUD Mommy to twin boys...Logan & Aiden!

Default honestly

Unless you have good reasons to separate, such as one being more dominant or depends on the other, I would keep them together. I would be afraid that the changes(new house, new school, new friends, new country) would be enough of a challenge this year.

My boys were together thru 5th grade, by choice, and it worked fine for us. They are going into 8th grade and change classes so I've told school that if they end up in a class together that's fine and if they don't, that's fine too.

I liked them being together for a variety of reasons. One set of homework, same field trips, class parties, projects. At open house I didn't have to jump from room to room and it was easier to volunteer as well. Typically, if one got invited to a party the other did as well(not as big of a deal when older but at 5 it can be).

One thing I've had friends encounter is what happens when one gets an awesome teacher and one gets a really bad or so-so teacher. In 2nd grade there was only one awesome teacher(one so-so and two under no circumstances would my child be placed in that class) and both of my boys got to experience her. She is still their absolute favorite teacher and both gained so much from her that I can't imagine having to choose who would get her.

I never once had a teacher compare my twins. At the end of every year I asked how being together worked before I put in my request for next year. The answer was always the same - if you didn't know they were twins you wouldn't have guessed. From k-5 there were 6 sets of twins in their grade and in 5th grade mine were in class with another set.

There is no one size fits all for this. You know your kids best and you pick what you think would work best. My pet peeve is school districts that force kids to separate just because they are multiples - a totally stupid policy.

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Mine are separated. They need to be and want to be. Its been the best thing for them.

My kids were together for kinder and it worked out fine. In 1st I intended to separate, but one DS got a teacher that wasn't a good fit so I put my boys together. It was an extremely tough year on one DS. We didn't truly realize that one DS was so far ahead academically. He is majoran overachiever, and work is effortless. This really shook the confidence of my other DS who is a very smart boy, but was majorly overshadowed. In 2nd my kids are in three classes and it is working perfectly.

Given all of your transitions, I would consider leaving together for kinder.

Lisa

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default We have seperated them since preschool and feel that

it is the best choice for us, but DS has ASD and DD tended to mother him. Neither one was developing independently to their best potential. But, every situation is different.
    Chris

Julie L is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Mine will be together in K (m) ...

I don't see any reason at all to separate. They were in the same pre-school class, and the teachers said they were very independent, played with different kids, etc. I did it for the practical reasons - trips, homework, parties, etc. I couldn't imagine having 2 sets of everything. I already have 2 older kids, so we will already have kids in 3 classes. 4 different classes would put me over the edge (LOL!).

Julie

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Where in Japan?..m

My SIL/BIL moved their twin boys to Okinawa (sp) the winter of their K year. They separated at that time and have flourished ever since. They recently just graduated high school at the top of their class and are headed to college.

I plan on keeping the girls together, but things may change.

We are at Yokota Air Base in Japan! The boys started school on Thurs and we opted to keep them together. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this topic to help DH & I make a decision.

We decided to ask Logan how he felt about having his own teacher and when I asked him 3 separate times he cried and got really upset, so in the end it made the most sense to keep them together. So far, so good! They are sitting at the same table in class but sit separately at lunch by choice and do centers independently too! The teacher is very impressed with them so it sounds like we made the right choice. We aren't making any decisions as to what we will do next year and subsequent years. We'll just take it one day at a time and see where that takes us!!!
    Hugs,
    Jami

PROUD Mommy to twin boys...Logan & Aiden!