Thread: Remember I announced that I was starting a Kid's Club for ASD kiddos...m

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Remember I announced that I was starting a Kid's Club for ASD kiddos...m

Well we have had 5 sessions so far and except for a 2nd meeting glitch it has turned out okay. Of course my older son Grant detests going but right now he is having severe social anxiety which could be another post.

Sometimes too many kids, and I still have not found any grant $ so a lot of things are out of pocket for me. Tonight's pool party was canceled due to swimming pool facility being closed due to flooding in area. I am thinking about having more sessions starting next month.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Sounds like a great idea

I'm sorry your DS is having a hard time with it. I hope things get smoother.

Here's hoping for grant money for you. This is a WONDERFUL idea and how great that you are volunteering your time to make a difference. This could become something pretty big and you are making a difference for those kids.

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Its wonderful that you are doing this and I know how much the other parents must appreciate it! Give Grant some time, many times kids just dont like new and change. And I think that 9 is definately that kind of age!

I hope you find some grant money soon so you can do more and relax a little more (well, we can hope right?).

Thanks. What I am hearing is the children are having fun.

Default That is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post
    Well we have had 5 sessions so far and except for a 2nd meeting glitch it has turned out okay. Of course my older son Grant detests going but right now he is having severe social anxiety which could be another post.

Sometimes too many kids, and I still have not found any grant $ so a lot of things are out of pocket for me. Tonight's pool party was canceled due to swimming pool facility being closed due to flooding in area. I am thinking about having more sessions starting next month.

I am so glad that you are doing this. It is a real service to the community. I hope that you are able to get funding soon.

Just an idea: The local Y's in my community are supporting programs for ASD spectrum kids. Perhaps there might be funding from some of the organizations that fund the Y's?

Wishing you the best.
    -Carol-

I am utilizing one of our county's park and recreation facility. I met with the disability's director last Spring. They did not have any programs that specifically addressed the social needs of children on the spectrum and other children who might have social anxiety. There were tons of options for children with disabilities but some were to adapted for the population I was trying to reach. I like to term it the "gray" area child-usually in an inclusive classroom, seems like their peers, but truly not anywhere near them socially.Some have tried after school activity's with their peers but are unable to handle the stress, the noise, or knowing they are different-maybe clumsy,etc. This club allows them social interaction and fun set up in a very structured way-well I try to keep it structured.

Anyway, $ is needed for snacks, craft items, small prizes, and later when we take filed trips their will cost involved. We are lucky the parks and recreations covers liability insurance and the group has access to a pool, tennis, basketball, softball, floor hockey-beautiful walking trail. Also there will be a van available for transportation if needed.

It sounds like a wonderful program. If I lived in your area, I would want to sign my son up.

One other funding idea is to charge the parents a minimal amount, if you aren't already doing so. The social program where ds goes used to be free, but now we are charged $5 per session.