Thread: ADHD... Where to start? (long)

Default ADHD... Where to start? (long)

We have suspected for 2+ years that DD had ADHD. Her ped had lond suspected it too. She was finally, at age 6, diagnosed with ADHD/implusive type at the end of Sept. For the past 2 years we have tried about every parenting techinque to deal with it that we can think of or read about. (I will admit that reading has been limited at times, almost trying to act like this wasn't the case).

Her ped had said that he wouldn't make the diagnosis until she was in school. She is homeschooled right now, but I know how she was in preschool with not sitting getting up and running around, talking out in class, the deisre to tell everything that was on her ming at any given moment, and the lack of ability to focus on anything for very long. This has totally carried over to what she was doing at home school.

I made the decision to medicate her (given the lack of succes with anything else tried). She was started on Concerta 18mg then after 4 days we moved up to 36mg. I am not sure how well it is working.. there is less of getting up and running around during class time, and less fidgeting. However, she is very often unfocused, talking out of turn, intruppting others, her appetite is slightly above nil during the day (after about 10 hours after her dose she does have slightly more appetite), and we are not getting to sleep before 11:00pm at the earliest, and more like 11:30 to midnight. She also seems moodier then she usually is, she will also cry at the drop of a hat over anything, and still exhibits a large degree of implusive behaviors (biting her brother tonight because she felt like it, and talking the cat into the shower, trying to physically hit those around her for just a few examples).

We have a follow-up appointment with the ped on the 15th. Since it seems to me that the med isn't working as well as it should be, do I call and get an earlier appointment with him, keep trying on the dose she is on, assuming that maybe some of the side effects will go away with time, or call and see what the ped suggests in the meantime?

The lack of sleep and appetite are the biggest things right now.

Also one last question... and reading or websites that you could suggest that could help me parent her better?

Thanks Molly

You may want to have a listen to this audio download from Donna Simmons at Christopherus Homeschool Resources. Particularly since you are homeschooling.

It's a free download. She has other audio downloads, I have several of them and the one titled, 'The Changing Face of Discipline', is also very very good.

Waldorf as Therapeutic Education

At essence, Waldorf is a form of truly therapeutic education, valuing all aspects of the child - spiritual, emotional, intellectual, physical. In the free download, Donna talks about how Waldorf can, in the home, help nurture and support our children, especially those with challenges such as autism-spectrum, OCD, SI, attachment disorders and ADHD/ADD.

If you go to the link it's the first download in the list.

http://www.christopherushomeschool.o...downloads.html

There is a wealth of information on parenting at this website as well as being a great resource for homeschooling. I'm currently using the first grade curriculum and can highly recommend it.

All the best,
    ange

Default Finding the right med and dose

I have an ADHD DS and we are using meds with great success (reading score went up 20 points in 3 months!). However, the key was to find the right medication and the right dose. So, yes call your Ped, tell him the meds are not working, why they're not working and ask to try a different one.

Also, it was helpful to keep note of when I gave it to him, what he had for breakfast, when I "saw it kick in" and when it wore off. This info helped us find a med that worked better for my DS.

I also found it helpful to educate myself as to what meds were available and to ask for what I felt would work for my DS and our family.

This list is from 2004 so some of the newer meds are not listed, but this was very helpful to me in talking with my Ped.

http://www.myadhd.com/treatment_tool...tionchart.html

-Robin

PPeanut is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Hi Molly,

gid Bless you for homeschooling a child with ADHD. I sometimes think I should do that for my son, but I don't think either one of us would survive. I have to say there are more mornings than I would like to admit where I heave a huge sigh of relief when driving away from school after dropping my 2 older boys off. Thats just to tell you that I admire you.

yes, it is hard finding the right med. Just a little back story: My ds is 8 (3rd grade), he was diagnosed with sensory processing dysfunction as a preschool and received private OT twice per week. It really helped alot. He did fine in Kindergarten and First Grade partly because he is so smart. Second grade he hit a very old school by the book teacher and his smarts were not enough. I took him for a full eval/testing by a psychologist because I couldn't figure out if he had anxiety or ADHD. I also wanted an IQ test so I could prove to the school that he was as smart as I thought he was. (Teacher told me in Oct. that she would not recomend him for the gifted program in the spring)

Anyway, sorry that got so long. he was diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety and a high IQ. He started on Vyvanse. First 2 weeks were heaven! He was such a joy to live with and be around. Finally seemed comfortable in his own skin. Then the side effects set in. Lack of appetite, difficulty sleeping, extreme anxiety. Took a break from vyvanse during July. AWFUL!!!
    Started focalin in August. It helped, but it was summer so fewer demands. When school started, it wore off around lunch time according to ds. Teacher said she didn't notice a difference from morning to afternoon. He was very distracted, fidgety etc. He was also getting very aggressive to his little brother, but also to other kids. We added zoloft for the anxiety. It helped, but he was developing even more side effects with the focalin. Ticks etc.

We took him off it. he is just on zoloft for the anxiety now and honestly seems to be doing ok. Out of focus etc. But for us, we may just have to put up with that. we see the psychiatrist tonight. Maybe she'll have another idea.

Sorry this got so long.

Oh, the main reason we took ds off the vyvanse is because he lost 6 pounds in a month - 6 weeks

good luck!

carol anne

Molly, are you unsure of her diagnosis? I just wanted to mention that there are many things that can look like ADHD and are not...case in point is my ds now age 7. He has a tendency to tune people out, stare off to the side as if in a daze, have trouble with multiple tasks, etc. His story is longer than this, but for a variety of reasons we had a comprehensive eval done (privately at a local medical center) at age 5. No, he does not have ADD nor is he disinterested in the world around him. Quite the opposite, turns out he's gifted and though he can be inattentive at times still, he has greatly improved via maturity (and now we think of him as the absent-minded professor, Mr. right-brain thinker' LOL). However, the point I'm really making is that a comprehensive eval is priceless, IMO. I would not just go with the ped. Again, this is IMO and some might disagree, and I know it's expensive, but the things you learn about your child can be so incredible eye-opening. Also the center I took ds to had programs available for kids having difficulty, including social skills, tutoring, parenting classes, sporting activites, etc. Most peds just are not equipped to go down such a complex road with you and your child.

Best of luck and I know you are stressed. Even if it turns out dd does have ADHD you never know if there is a dual diagnosis going on. That's where you need multiple areas of input.

Hope you find some help,
    Karen

Default A lot of things in your post (m)

are getting my attention.

First off, like Karen mentioned, there are a lot of other issues out there that have many symptoms of ADHD or that are easily misdiagnosed as ADHD - case in point, my 10 yr old ds was dx'd with ASD (Aspergers) in May, but had been given a loose diagnosis of ADHD - Impulsive type two years previously ( a not uncommon misdiagnosis) - so you may be dealing with something other than ADHD, and that is why the meds are not making a big impact.

I also think that many perfectly normal kids have a lot of ADHD/Impulsivity symptoms when they are 6 - I don't mean to downplay what you see and experience in your dd, but keep in mind there is a wide range of normal and normal does include a lot of fidgeting, short attention span, high activity levels etc. Sleep issues/deprivation from whatever cause can really reek havok on some kids ability to focus as well - lack of sleep leads to adreneline and cortisol release which revs up the body (to keep it awake) and leads to hyperactivity, lack of focus, etc. Add to that a poor appetite and resulting irregular blood sugar level and you have a perfect recipe for serious behavior issues.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would be somewhat conservative about having a pedi diagnose and medicate a child based on short office visits and their interpretation of your concerns without a proper observational assessment done preferably by a child psych who can really sort out a normal, active, distractable child, and a child who is experiencing abnormal behaviour, and then sort through those 'abnormalities' to come up with a probably cause and concrete diagnosis and action plan for you.

I would be asking your pedi for a referral to a psychologist or developmental pedi at a child development clinic or something similar and ask for a full psych/behavioural assessment. In the meantime I would work on the things that are under your control - balanced meals, good sleep habits, schedules to promote her organizational development and reduce anxiety, reasonable age appropriate expectations and conseqences. Keep notes so you have a history on what issues you are having, how you are handling them and what the response it - you may see a pattern over time, or there may be something in there that a psych would see as an obvious red flag.

I don't know a lot about ADHD meds (we chose not to medicate) so I can't make a judgement call on whether you should continue the meds or not - I think you need to go with your gut on that one. You might also want to try Omega 3 supplements - look for one with a EPA to DHA ratio of 2:1 or 3:1. Steer clear of the ones marketed to kids because they are very low dose - you want 400 mg EPA per dose or more. There are some good scientific studies that show that omega 3 supplimentation can help out kids with ADHD and may be beneficial for other conditions as well. My ds has noticable improvement on omega 3 suppliments in terms of better focus and less 'foggy' and better social interactions, and his developmental pedi supports their use.

Good luck - sorry this got long!

Amanda

I guess that I should have mentioned that I contacted the developmental ped that we saw when the kids first got out of the NICU, and because of the way they have reorganized the practice they no longer see kids her age. They sent me a list of several docs that deal with ADHD. The fist person on the list was her ped. Also a local children's hospital often sends residents to work with hime on AHDH stuff. Finally the ped has seen her since she was 2 months old, and this was not the first appointment to discuss her behavior (we have been having these appointments 2-3 times a year for several years, so this wasn't the first time I have discussed this with him) I totally trust this man and the diagnosis of my DD. It wasn't the diagnosis I was questioning, I really wanted some advice on how to deal with things.

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I do have a website you can check out, will post it later as it is not bookmarked. Did you decide to get an earlier appointment?

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

here is a website-I find her info great for at home and at school. I have not read any of books nor heard her speak. My older son's Dr suggested checking out the site.

http://www.janebluestein.com/handouts/index.html