Thread: OT catolog?

PPeanut is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default OT catolog?

I need to order a seat cushion thing for my son. I'm hoping it helps. He has a horrible time sitting in his chair in school and is rocking it onto two legs which makes it creak and disturbs the class. He is not classified because he is able to keep up with the class, so doesn't qualify for an IEP. Therefore he is unlikely to get one through school.

Thanks for any tips.

Carol Anne

smf3 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We have ordered stuff through Fun and Function. I don't know how they compare price-wise with others, but that's who we have ordered through....but I would talk to the school's OT and ask if they have recommendations. Also they can let him try out a cushion there (they should have them) so you aren't wasting your money if it doesn't work.

HTH!
    Shawna

Default We have been happy with Abilitations,

but I agree with smf3 that it's a good idea to ask your school OT for recommendations first.

Thank you! Abilitations is what I was trying to think of! I kept putting an H in front of it.

Laura H1 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

also therapyshoppe.com and therapro.com

Check out Dick's Sporting Goods site. Enter balance in the search box. They sell balance pillows that are exactly like the one my DD's school gave her to sit on. We call it a wiggle pillow. They are about 24 bucks. My DD also used these in vision therapy to help her get her balance.

kiki

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Did you find something? Every child is different but my 10 year old could not sit in a chair till he was in 3rd grade. We tried all the helpful things out there, but he just stood at his desk and worked.

Good luck

Luckily I asked the guidance counselor where to get one and she told me the PTA bought the school 4 of them and she would get one to him to try. She didn't want me to spend the money until we knew if it worked.

He has used it one day. Before betting it he was worried that kids would "start rumors" about him having ADHD. I just told him they were noticing the rocking in the chair, falling off his chair and the chair squeaking all the time. So they all ready knew something was up. After trying it, he said it helped.

Teacher said she thought it was helping. She said he does spend some time falling off of it though. When I was there for the Halloween party, he was using it upside down, but whatever works.

I'm going to give it the rest of this week (short week for us because of NJ teacher's convention) and order one if he and the teacher think its a good idea.

Now to figure out if he needs more zoloft as he is having more anger outbursts again and his dose is really low.