Thread: Has anyone ever held a child back? We are

chris s is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Has anyone ever held a child back? We are

considering holding back our twins (they are in first grade). Obviously, it would really benefit DS but DD is just as weak in reading as DS although strong in math (she would be pulled out for upper math) and there is the possibility that she could do gifted...they are late July birthdays.
    Any experience?
    Thanks.
    Chris

margaretR is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I don't have immediate experience with it but Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outliers, talks a lot about what an incredible advantage it is for kids to be the oldest in their class - or in their group - of whatever they're doing because so many things are developmental. Definitely worth a read if you haven't read it... it will make you feel really good about the decision if you decide to do it.

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

No experience, but I wanted to mention that I did have a set of twins last year where one had gotten held back (due to learning disability) and one had not. It was ok, but not the greatest situation for the one who went on (in my class), because he always wanted to be with his brother.

It's awfully early yet. My professional experience is that holding kids back is rarely effective due to the social issues that come up.
    Ellen