Thread: Help with birthday party ideas...

Default Help with birthday party ideas...

DD's 8th birthday is January 1st. We are trying to come up with party ideas/places...I don't want to spend a fortune (we don't have it). Last year we did a slumber party on New Year's Eve, it was a blast and went over well. I have told her that we will not be having another one this year so that her friends can spend New Year's Eve with their families (and so can we).

DD has given me some ideas of what she wants (roller skating), but thought I'd see if you all could tell me some of your past partys with your kiddos. We live in KS, weather is cold (often bitter and snowy in January), outside fun is not an option.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Shari

Lanie is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Bowling

My dd has gone to the bowling alley for the last 4 years (she'll be 10 in Jan) and they have a really good time. Our bowling alley rents me lanes for $12/hr each and we can bring in cake and drinks. 2 lanes are plenty-the kids learn about keeping score (we don't have the auto scoring things) and usually end up just keeping their own kind of score. We only bowl for 1 hour (they've usually had enough by that time) and have cake so $35 just about covers it! We live in a very small town so it's probably more expensive where you live but we've enjoyed it!

This year dd is taking her 2 best friends to the spa for manicures. At $20 apiece it's a little more spendy than what we're used to but I'm sure they'll have fun!

That is a great idea, she actually went to a bowling party yesterday. However this bowling party also included 7 tokens to play arcade games and ride the indoor go-carts!!! She REALLY wants to have her party there!!! I don't even want to think about the cost of that one!! That is out of the realm of our party planning!

The manicure sounds fun to my 4yr old DD, but my soon to be 8yr DD is definitely not into painting her nails! I'm sure your DD will have a blast! We also live in a small town, everything is at least a 20-30min driving proximity.

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Why not another slumber party?

I understand why you wouldn't do it again on New Year's Eve, but how about when the kids are off from school for the week? If that went over well, I'd say it is reasonable and the kids have fun, so I'd do that.

I would love to do another slumber party, but I am also DD's Brownie leader and the girls just don't get along as well as they did last year. They fight at school and then let it carry over to our meetings.

We had 12 girls spend the night last year (5 of these girls are the ones at odds with each other) and I just don't want the drama all night, a couple hours all together, I think they'd be just fine!

BTW...there are only 18 girls total in DD's entire 2nd grade class (three 2nd grade classes(lots of boys))...so changing the mix of girls is not really an option either!

kstrib is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Indoor swimming
    Karaoke party (a.k.a. American Idle) - even in our small town there is a recording studio somewhere... they could make a CD
    Church youth facility - we have one around us that has a HUGE game room with pool tables, ping pong, air hockey, Wii's, XBOX's, etc. It's a huge hit and way cheap!
    Church reception hall - have a dance with a disco ball (you could do this in your house too, or at a dance studio)
    Hobby Lobby or Michael's do craft parties
    Cooking party at a Make Ahead casserole place or a bakery

Kat

JoyKS is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default well

we just had my son's 7th bday party at the zoo. they have an indoor classroom, provide the cake, ice cream, paper products, and a helper to serve it all. The kids get in free to the zoo and they can tour it together. I also copied a scavenger hunt from the zoo's newsletter for kids to use. It went very well. ........ party cost me $70 with my zoo membership!!! That was all those things included too! What a deal! (By the way, I'm in Topeka)

I like to do parties at places with things to do...makes it so much easier.

bowling alleys
    chuck e cheeses
    ks museum of history (had his 4th party there)
    gymnastics places
    karate places

So many places to birthday parties these days!
    good luck!

Default My dd turned 8 last January (m)

We had a party completely at home, lasted 4 hours, we had 6 guests and this is what we did:

1) I bought some primroses from Home Depot, some terra cotta pots, potting soil and acrylic paints, rhinestones etc. Each girl painted/decorated a pot. They really liked this.

2) We set up the Wii and they played that for about 45 minutes while I prepped dinner stuff and then they made their own pizzas. They particularly loved attemping to spin the dough.

3) After dinner, dd opened presents, and then they had cake and I made them Shirley Temples (complete with cherry and umbrella).

Everyone seemed to have a really good time, the flowerpots served as a party favour as well, and I found it much less stressful than I had been anticipating. This year we are planning something similar, but will probably make jewelry (I'll pick up some kits from Michaels) instead of the flower pots for a change.

Amanda

jeninnc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

at home spa party.

Give the girls manicures and pedicures - it's the trendy thing here.