trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Poor Grant check out his current grades as of 11/20

Reading 69.61%

Spelling 71.00%

Writing/Grammer 74.55%

Math 74.55% -only subject with IEP goals currently

Social Studies 70.73%

Science/Health 66.17%

So what would you do-wait till January for previously planned time for another IEP meeting or act now? The school psychologist did chat with me about upcoming reading assessment but he seemed unaware of how Grant is impacted by his anxiety. I was thinking of asking him to come observe Grant in the classroom if he has not-what do you think? Grant has never done this poorly before across the board. He truly is not learning and I am pretty sure his disability is part of the issue.Grant is 10 yrs old and in 4th grade co-teaching classroom but only has math IEP goals everything else is reg.ed. That has not always been the case though.

Thanks in advance,
    Wendy

Default Hi Wendy (m)

Sorry to hear that Grant is stuggling academically a bit now, but it is early days yet - I too have a difficult time not extrapolating who they are/how they do in school at the age of 10 with where they will be at 20, 35 etc. I just don't think it is a linear thing.

I would act now. Big changes in Grant's performance should be addressed now and not waiting until another half term has lapsed - if he is behind he needs to be brought up to speed both for his future academic success and for his self confidence. Even if the school was to institute radical change in Grant's academic programming or classroom placement tomorrow, it will still be several weeks until he is caught up, more secure and you can expect to see some improved grades. I think having the school psych observe is an excellent idea - then you can get an idea if Grant is trying hard but not picking up the concepts, or if his anxiety or features of the classroom setting are distracting him or making him unable to learn - that sort of information can help you decide what sort of assistance would be best for him right now and what will have the greatest probability of improving the current situation.

((Hugs)) It is hard pecking away at the school all the time, I know.

Amanda

pepperlc is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

I would definitely start with the an observation. I would also talk to the special ed. teacher and express your concerns and ask if its possible to move the meeting up.

Is he being treated for anxiety?

so many hugs.

angeleena is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Oh. Poor Grant! He is struggling a bit isn't he. You are weaning off of the zoloft aren't you? I wonder if that will help? I was thinking maybe you could wait until the new med you are going to put him on kicks in but then again, maybe getting the iep moved up would be a good idea. It sounds like they need to be teaching him in a way he can understand and it seems like the teachers would be calling you trying to figure out what is going on. I know one thing, when I was a kid...my anxiety freaked me out so much that half of the time I did not even hear what the teacher was talking about. I wonder if he is obsessing a bit on something or worrying during school and missing the teaching.
    I am so sorry you are dealing with this. The great news is that anxiety is so treatable and you will find the right drug for him
    (hope you ask doc about buspar, the miracle drug for ella)

Keep us updated!
    Big hugs!

Angi

danellsar is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Before you get too worked up, I wanted to point out some "facts of life" (from the perspective of a teacher). I used to teach 4th, and then moved down to 3rd. 4th is a huge turning point as far as expectations and curriculum. It's a gigantic change from 3rd grade work, unless (like my class) you have a teacher who knows what's coming up and pushes hard to get them ready.

Let me give you some examples (these are taken from CA state standards, but from my experience, there are similar expectations in other areas):
    3rd grade- read 80-120 words per minute....... 4th grade- read 110-150 words per minute.
    3rd grade- be able to spell words based on phonetic patterns..... 4th grade- be able to spell words that do not follow phonetic patterns.
    3rd grade- be able to write 1 paragraph correctly.... 4th grade- be able to write a 5 paragraph essay.
    3rd grade- be able to define and use 6-10 vocablulary words per story.... 4th grade- be able to define and use 20-30 vocabulary words per story.

These are just some examples from language arts. Math is also a huge jump. I can remember, back when I taught 4th, every year I'd have parents coming to me crying because their (general ed) child was doing 3-4 hours of homework a night and not getting to do anything else. I always told them that the children would catch on to the amount of work expected in the classroom, and then they wouldn't have as much homework (most of the time, the huge amount of homework was really classwork that the child had not finished).

So, the standards are higher. The expectation is that the child will do more in a shorter amount of time. The classes are bigger (often). The teacher spends most of the time on whole class rather than small group activities. And, in many cases, it's a longer school day with less recess. All of this adds up to a drop in grades for many many kids. When you add in an IEP already, it's no surprise his grades are suffering.

Do I think you should wait it out? That's up to you and how frustrated your ds is with this situation. If he's ok with how things are going, you might wait till the scheduled IEP meeting, but do let the teacher know of your concern right away.
    Ellen

trek is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Thanks so much for replying.

ANGI~yes, I definitely think when he is filled with anxiety it is causing Grant to tune out even more. I have mentioned as much several times even in the last IEP meeting in October. The issue with a lot of medications is they increase Grant's underlying tic disorder so that limits what he can be prescribed. We are not trying anything new at least till right before Christmas except for Vyvanse for attention starting this weekend.

ELLEN~the thing is there is not much homework, but we are seeing Grant increasingly not finish classwork. The first 9 weeks he had not problems with that, but lately Grant is telling me he is not understanding things. I have told him to speak up. Than when he comes home with unfinished work he is requiring one on one to do it. Some is his inability to even know what to do and some of it is he is too tired. Grant is also getting 30s, 20s on quizzes is that not a reason for concern? I also think there is definitely comprehension issues-IQ tests, and Iowa Basic Skills Test in 3rd showed definite areas of concern in reading comprehension. However, he has met the standard on state testing. He definitely cannot read and answer multiple choice questions from classwork like the Weekly Reader at least independently. At home he is not reading alone and if we give him the chance he can never tell us much if anything about what he just read. Same holds true when we read or take turns reading with him. Even when we stop at the end of the page!

KAREN~yes, Grant has been having increased anxiety since July. We are weaning him off of zoloft as for almost 8 weeks it seemed to not be effective.

AMANDA~thanks for you reply. When they moved him to an inclusive classroom for 3rd grade I was worried but he ended up really loving school and learning so much. Every year they have decreased or taken away support and services for Grant. He has had an IEP since age 3, and this school year the only thing on it is math goals, classroom accomodations and testing accomodations. They almost did away with his IEP last year-I came so close to agreeing but know now that he needs one till at least end of high school or until age 22.

*** Wanted to add that since early October his behavior check sheets keep coming home with comments like"unable to focus during large group instruction", "not focusing in small group instruction-6 students total", "not listening, not participating".
    furthermore although Grant has math "tricks" to help him he is still unable to consistently apply previous math skills. For example, he does not know his multiplication tables-so now that they are doing division each problem takes so long. He also seems to know the steps one day, but not the next or even hours later! Grant if he is having to redo his classwork at home can only handle so much especially after 7pm at night.
    There is also the matter of the teachers having him retake tests over and over.I believe I posted about this and I do understand the benefit to allow the student to have another chance at showing mastery of a skill, but this is causing a lot of anxiety for Grant. I have shared my concerns, but no support for Grant. They even pulled him out of a math benchmark test in September since the Resource teacher thought he was not focusing. So now with benchmarks starting on Dec. 11th Grant is expressing anxiety and wants another teacher to administer the test. He says the Resource teacher yelled at him and threatened him. Another student backs his story.**

Thanks again
    Last edited by trek; 11-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Wow. They aren't exactly setting him up for success are they? It seems to me that the IEP should absolutely be moved up, and an observation must take place before then. From my experience, any changes in services move at a snail's pace, so the sooner you get a discussion going, the better. Isn't the whole point of an IEP to ensure a student's academic success? And you have clear measures that he is not succeeding. it also seems like the longer this waits, the more his anxiety is going to increase - so it'll be that much harder to intervene a few months from now. I so hope you get the support you deserve from the school, and Grant gets the help he needs. It's great that he was doing so well last year; you'll get back to that point again! It sounds like 4th grade is a big leap and so it's not surprising that his plan needs to be adjusted.

mckenziecat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default this is great information!

My ds is in 3rd grade (mixed class 3/4 in a school for dyslexics, his issue is written expression though, good reader). He has such a hard time getting work done and feels it is all too much. I had him read your post so I could tell him, SEE this is why your teacher and I are pushing you so hard this year (which we are, and it's getting him down).

I think he was over 100 words per minute in second grade, so should be fine there - but writing a 5 paragraph essay - omg he can barely write 5 sentences! This gives him an idea of what is coming. And me too, since we put him in a specialty school at 2nd grade, it's hard to tell what will be expected of him when he moves on.

thanks so much!!!
    beth