Thread: Quick advice about Xmas presents requested...

ybab is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Quick advice about Xmas presents requested...

My DS has been hounding us for a DS. But my DD could care less, and wants an AG doll. But we have this 12 hr drive to DC coming up, and I can't help but think that a DS might be nice for both. My DD has probably never seen a DS and so really wouldn't know if she would want one or not.

OTOH, maybe it's a silly amount of money to spend on something she hasn't asked for. Would it be dumb to get one DS and get separate games for both (so on the trip, they had to take turns)? Honestly, I've never seen a DS IRL either, so it's a bit hard forming an opinion here. I just remember our Leapsters were lifesavers on those long car rides!

Thanks for any advice .

Julie L is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Believe me, once ds has one, dd will want one too! (m) ...

My dd was the one who was dying for a ds ... we bought it for her last year. Ds never really asked for one, but we knew that once he saw hers, he's want one too. We bought it for him at the same time, and he was ecstatic! It really is great for long car rides, waiting in Drs. offices, etc. I'd say getting one will cause BIG problems. I'd definitely go for 2! The other thing that is nice is with two machines, they can do something called "ds download" and play and communicate with eachother. They'd have fun with that!

Julie

Default I'd probably stick to what she wants and get the

doll. She can still play with her leapster, right? I can't see your son playing with his ds for the entire 12 hour trip and maybe he'll share. Do you have a dvd player for the car?

L

Hollie_B is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default Can you check Ebay

A friend of mine picked up a gentley used DS for little money on Ebay. I would check there and see if you can do both the AG and the used DS. FWIW, my DS has a DS that he rarely uses. So if we sold it on Ebay someone would get a great deal. He does use it for road trips so I would highly recommend getting both children one.

BriNJ is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We got DS one for his 8th bday and his sister spent the next year coveting it. DS let DD play his DS (confusing eh?) but that wasnt enough. When DD turned 7 (the next year) we got her one too. DS still plays his more, but they are great for the car and for when we have to go somewhere with a long wait (ie: to get the flu shot). If Santa gets her one, he could always give mom the reciept and a note that she could trade it in for AG doll if she really wants to.

fatcat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

How old is your son again?

The only problem we've had with ds's are difficulty of games. Granted, I bought them for my kids when they were 4, 4 and 6... they had friends with them and really wanted them. They got the hang of some games - one was this Pet game where you can play little games to pay for furniture and things to put in a dog house. But some games were too hard and too frustrating. When we first got it, I stayed up all night for a week to beat the entire Mario Brothers game and that is their favorite because they watched me play it and once I beat the whole game, you can play any level and never run out of lives, so that makes it fun and not frustrating for them now. Now they are almost 6, 6 and 8 and they still come to me and ask me to get them past certain parts of some games.

Tough call - I think your dd will want one on that car ride and I'm not sure if it seems fair to make ds share a new Christmas gift BUT if dd really wants an AG doll and not a ds I'm not sure what to do! How is that for helpful? Do your kids still use their leapsters? Dd still likes it but there are no games for this age.

Can you borrow a ds for the car ride from a friend? I'm pretty sure dd is the last one at school to get one, and I'm not kidding! They all take them on the bus b/c it's a pretty long ride. She'd rather have a horse - HA!

jvirginia is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

We don't have a DS so no real advice there, except that listening to kids fight over a video game is extremely unpleasant. Is there a chance to borrow one? That's what I did when my son was in the hospital and it was a big treat for him since we don't own one.

In terms of the car ride, I do this drive a lot with my kids, though only from Connecticut. If you are in the Boston area, plan on 9-10 hours total. It isn't a bad idea to find a hotel with a pool and split it into two days (that's what we do for the 8 hour trip up to Maine). I go through Hotwire and can often get a place for well under $100. Our salvation is books on tape from the library. We've listened to all of Roald Dahl and now 1-6 of Harry Potter plus a ton of other books. It makes the drive go much faster for everyone. Also, when they were younger I'd have a "mattinee" at about the half way point when they could watch a movie. You can get a coverter that allows you to plug your computer into the cig lighter and they can watch on that. Another big hit is a bag with some new books/coloring/crafts in it and junk food, which they don't get otherwise. My boys now love road trips.