Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: early education -

June2 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Our kindergarten programs are very academic and almost all boys with summer birthdays are held back because we have a September cutoff date. Now they plan to make all half-day kindergartens into full day and I'm not happy about it.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

That would have been nice, Im still dealing with confidence in reading issue w/ my 6 year old. I should have had him start K a year later ... He was 5y11d when he started and had to go into a "special" reading group outside his class because he still was not reading indep. half way through the year.

Now in 1st grade, he is a little behind but not so bad and in the adv math class.

Go figure. And yes in 1st grade, weekly math tests and spelling.

ahava is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Put me down for PLAY!!

playing.

watch road to nowhere and weep.

Allegro is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by June2 View Post
    Our kindergarten programs are very academic and almost all boys with summer birthdays are held back because we have a September cutoff date. Now they plan to make all half-day kindergartens into full day and I'm not happy about it.
    We have full-day kindergarten AND junior kindergarten. Both my children went and benefited because it was ALL play based learning. Neither of them even thought about reading until 1st grade. Both of them are excellent students and doing well (In 1st and 3rd grades).

HethD is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Quote Originally Posted by mckenziecat View Post
    Right now I'm dealing with 1st graders cheating on the accelerated reader program at our school - which is OPTIONAL and does not affect grades. But we have made what should be their natural joy for reading into something that must be rewarded and are reaping the effects of that.
    Interesting study, thanks for sharing.
    beth
    I'm not an AR fan. Our district transitioned into it years ago from a reading program that encouraged the kids to read *any* book from different genres and actually write about them in reports. Now they're encouraged to only read AR books and take multiple choice tests. Regression, IMO.

It broke my heart as I worked our school's recent book fair and a girl really wanted to buy a new release book, but the parents refused because it didn't have an AR test yet. They wanted her to buy a book that would keep her AR score up. Seriously. I almost asked them if I could buy it for her.

Default I think kindegarten is about play

very glad our K was only 1/2 a day. Mostly to teach kids about the structure of a classroom and what is expected in 1st grade.

We fill out the reading log the day before it's due. We read together every day. We take turns with the same books each month. Sometimes I read to them, sometimes they read to us. Every month we change the books we read.

Bonnie

Reese14 is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

Default I agree with all of this....

My older DS was an early reader. Not by pressure, just by interest. When he went to Kindergarten it was a little more laid back.

My younger one, I believe, has some learning disabilities. He wasn't even close to reading in kindergarten, which became much more intense. He's in first now, and starting to read, albeit at a low level. He's very discouraged being at such a low level while his friends are on chapter books. It's hard to be in a school district where parents push their kids (and I agree with your reasoning) and your child is bringing up with rear, even with tons of extra help at school and home.

I have never been an advocate of pushing children academically at a young age, and have children on both ends of the spectrum of academic abilities.

fatcat is offline INCIIDer - A Community Creator

i totally believe the study and agree with it's findings and think much of US education is too much, too soon.

My ds's kindergarten teacher was all up-in-arms last year that he didn't know his 32 required sight words. I could tell she was upset or thought I was a b!tch or something because I actually said, "I don't care about the 32 sight words." I didn't read until 2nd grade. I don't enjoy reading. I don't read for fun. I read a few non-fiction books a year, maybe one junky novel on vacation. Yet, I've aced every standardized literacy test I've ever taken since high school through graduate school and for professional certification. I got straight As in a liberal arts college where every course required essays, term papers and research projects. I see no reason to drill my kids on sight words and I HATE those stupid reading logs we are supposed to fill out nightly and sign off on.

I'm also anti homework, but we do it anyway so the kids don't get in trouble. But I'm not afraid to admit I'll "do" it for them, at least in the sense that I'll be quick to give them the answers or modify it so it's more fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2