Thread: Compromised Immune System

Default Compromised Immune System

Hello Dr. Coulam,

I am a 35 year old female with a diagnosis of unknown infertility. I also have MS. Being that I have a positive ANA, would it be in my best interest for higher chance of success to have IVF with IVIG and/or heparin.

I do wish to have additional immunologic testing done to test for NK cells, Activated Reproductive Immunophenotype and the like as listed in your article, but since I already have a compromised immune system because of my Multiple Sclerosis, I wondered if you would for this reason alone recommend IVIG.

Thank you,

ssalem

If you have any immunolkogic risk factors that are associated with MS, then we would most likely recommend IVIg. You would need to be tested to make sure it would be of benenfit to you. Dr. Coulam

Default Compromised Immune System

Dr. Coulam,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I also want to mention that I had one IUI cycle. Prior to the IUI, I had leakage in both breasts. I was not on any medications. My prolactin levels seemed to be somewhat elevated for leakage to occur but still normal at 16 out of the lab range of <=18.0. I wonder if it would've read normal out of Milenova's range.

I read that leakage points to some systemic or endocrine disorder. I do have MS as stated before, but systemic obviously could be in terms of reproductive system as well which also makes sense being that I have infertility issues.

I'm aware that there probably are other factors in play, but in terms of timing, could the leakage around my IUI cycle have been bad timing to try for a successful IUI result?

I've also heard that high Prolactin can cause Luteal Phase Defect. Is this true?

Thank you,

ssalem

High prolactin levels can be associated with llutelal phase defect. But if your prolactin levels are normal, this shouldnt be an issue. Have you checked your TSH levels? Dr. Coulam

Default Prolactin and TSH

Dr. Coulam,

Yes, my TSH was drawn in July of this year and it was within normal range as well at 1.70 in a 0.50-5.20 range.

Thank you,

ssalem

Then I wouldnt worry about the breast discharge. Dr. Coulam