Thread: Question about heterozygous LIF

Default Question about heterozygous LIF

Dear Dr. Coulam,
    I forgot to ask this last week in my consultation. Since I have heterozygous LIF, would a surrogate possibly resolve our problem? And also if we add LIF to the culture medium (if available)? Surrogate would resolve the angio genesis problem for sure (if the surrogate has had children) but what about LIF? It is also possible that the embyo has the correct genes for LIF if my husbands genes are not damaged in that front, right?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Laura

Yes, a host uterus would adress the problem. Dr. Coulam

Thanks Dr. Coulam. As regards angiogenesis, is it so that my embryos either have the genemutation that I have or if the embryo has inherited it from my husband, it could also be that the embryo does not have the genemutation, or am I missing something here. SO as regards angiogenesis, we would need to do PGD to determine the healthy eggs, right? Can you see the defective gene already on day 2, for example? Further regarding angiogenesis, it would not be enough that the surrogate mothers genes are ok? The embryo itself would need to have unmutated VEGF gene, right?

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Laura

Even if the embryo has low VEGF secretation there are other factors that it can use to stiulate angiogenesis. Angiogenesis occrs in the maternal endometrium. So the gene defects would affect both. Changing the endometrium gives the embryo a chance to implant using other angiogeneic factors. Dr. Coulam

Thank you very much Dr. Coulam. I think we will go through the surrogate route and give my eggs another chance.

Would the defect in my 1154 G/A marker affect the formation of blood circulation inside the embryo? Or would that also be affected (or in a way amended) by the surrogate mothers correct genes? Would the surrogate mothers genes also help my embryos that possibly cary my defective genes to utilize other means to build its own blood circulation and also to implant into the surrogate uterus?

I have read somewhere that mice embryos that had homozygous 1154G/A marker died like after 8 days of fertilization. In my case when my 1154 G/A marker was homozygous normal, does it mean that the gene is less defected or would those embryos that inherit that gene defect from me also die right after they have been transfered to the surrogate uterus?

I also think that before we select a surragate we would need to test her for HLA's so that she is not a match with me or with my husband. Me and my husband have been tested and we are not a match but I think she should be tested.

Sorry for the long email but I think this completes all the questions that I have at the time. I just need to know that even though I have mutations in LIF and VEGF genes, the surrogate route could work.

Many thanks again.

Laura

Surrrogate could work but to make sure, it would be best to check the gene mutations in your husband. Dr. Coulam